+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Post Secondary Institution after obtaining SP & TRV

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
Hello guys,

I have a doubt with regards to changing a post secondary institution(same level - MSc) after acquiring a Student Permit.

I had applied for my SP and TRV with docs from University X(assumption). However after submitting my SP application, I got accepted to University Y.

Hence, I would like to know if I can directly enroll/register with University Y since I had submitted my application before June 1st(the date, the new rules came into effect). According to the new rules, one has to notify CIC using MyCIC account, if you are going to change from one institution to the other. But however according to the old rules, there was no need to notify if you changed between institutions.

Anyone with legit advice or faced the same experience?

Thanks for your help!
~MF

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
Hi.
with a little difference, i have the same question.
THE QUESTION IS: i received my study permit on december 5th, 2013 i.e (before june 1, 2014) and i want to change my institution. do i have to apply for new study permit?

the thing is i am already in canada as an international student. i have study permit for university of regina. which i got before june 1st,2014. it is valid till april 2015, and it is stated on my study permit the institution name = university of regina,
"i want to switch from M.ENG. to M.ENG. but from university of regina to university of ottawa i.e different institution.
according to new rules, students who apply for study permit on or after june 1, 2014, they can change the university at same level of study but he has to update MYCIC account about switching institution.
please answer as soon as possible

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
maysun18 said:
Hello guys,

I have a doubt with regards to changing a post secondary institution(same level - MSc) after acquiring a Student Permit.

I had applied for my SP and TRV with docs from University X(assumption). However after submitting my SP application, I got accepted to University Y.

Hence, I would like to know if I can directly enroll/register with University Y since I had submitted my application before June 1st(the date, the new rules came into effect). According to the new rules, one has to notify CIC using MyCIC account, if you are going to change from one institution to the other. But however according to the old rules, there was no need to notify if you changed between institutions.

Thanks for your help!
~MF
i did not experience this as u wanted advice from whoever experienced it or i am a lawyer for legit advice but I have seen people showing the university Y admission letter at POE and getting study permit even though they applied visa with university X.

kaulvirus

Star Member
Nov 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think if you apply online, there's a new upload button for #change in DLI (designated learning institute). I wonder if that would be helpful in your situation.

fazeel

Jan 26, 2011
Pakistan
numair782 said:
Hi.
with a little difference, i have the same question.
THE QUESTION IS: i received my study permit on december 5th, 2013 i.e (before june 1, 2014) and i want to change my institution. do i have to apply for new study permit?

the thing is i am already in canada as an international student. i have study permit for university of regina. which i got before june 1st,2014. it is valid till april 2015, and it is stated on my study permit the institution name = university of regina,
"i want to switch from M.ENG. to M.ENG. but from university of regina to university of ottawa i.e different institution.
according to new rules, students who apply for study permit on or after june 1, 2014, they can change the university at same level of study but he has to update MYCIC account about switching institution.
please answer as soon as possible
Dear you mentioned that as per new rule we can change college at the same level. Can u plz give me the link where CIC stated that? Further is it possible to switch from one PGD course to Two years PGD course at different college?

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
maysun18 said:
Hello guys,

Thanks for your help!
~MF
Hi MF...
I had the same situation and following is what I experienced:

usman_14pk said:
Hey all...

I just landed at Toronto Pearson International Airport few hours back.

My classes are gonna start in September. Initially I got my visa for graduate program in Computer Science at University of Regina but later I also got acceptance in York. I applied paper based application and I didn't inform CIC about the change of university prior to my arrival.

I am writing this thread to explain my POE experience. After clearing the customs, I was directed to Immigration Officer. She was really nice and supportive. She asked for my LOI, LOA and my passport. After checking my visa status from her system, she asked me that I was supposed to attend Uni of Regina and not York. I explained this thing to her that I also got admission from York in the same program and I am still meeting the expenses i.e funds I have and the cost at York for 1-year. She gave me a big smile :D and then printed my Study Permit, put it in my passport and gave my passport back to me. No questions about early arrival as I arrived there 2-months prior to the start of my classes. No questions about funds. Nothing. Just clear and smooth process. It hardly took 7 minutes at immigration counter :)

All the best.
Thread URL: http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/my-experience-early-arrival-and-change-of-university-t228956.0.html

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
fazeel said:
Dear you mentioned that as per new rule we can change college at the same level. Can u plz give me the link where CIC stated that? Further is it possible to switch from one PGD course to Two years PGD course at different college?
i am sorry i cant post the link, the system is not allowing me to do so. but if you open cic . gc . ca website. just see the changes for international students after june 1, 2014 and drag down to:

>CHANGING INSTITUTION: your responsibility

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
but this is only for students who got their study permit after june 1, 2014. in FAQ's section. this question is answered like:

Q: I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?
ANS:
"Primary school student:
You must apply to modify your study permit when you move on to high school. Send your application to the CIC Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

High school student:
You must apply to modify your study permit when you move on to post-secondary school. Send your application to the CIC Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

Post-secondary student:
You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.
However, you must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study."

However my question is if i can change institution as an old student and my study permit contains a condition stating institution: university of Regina." from two year program to another two year program. please someone clear this to me. very confused.
Regards,
Muhammad

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
mead said:
i did not experience this as u wanted advice from whoever experienced it or i am a lawyer for legit advice but I have seen people showing the university Y admission letter at POE and getting study permit even though they applied visa with university X.
Yes, I am aware of that, thank you!

I just wanted to know from someone who had done this after June 1st!

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
usman_14pk said:
Hi MF...
I had the same situation and following is what I experienced:
Thank you usman_14pk!

That thread did clear a few of my doubts!

Coming back to the topic, did you have to notify the CIC after getting your SP with the new university at the POE? Or is notification only required, when one already has a SP for the old university and wants to change to a new university?

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
maysun18 said:
Thank you usman_14pk!

That thread did clear a few of my doubts!

Coming back to the topic, did you have to notify the CIC after getting your SP with the new university at the POE? Or is notification only required, when one already has a SP for the old university and wants to change to a new university?
SCENARIO # 1: Change of School before getting Study Permit at POE

If you have got your new Acceptance Letter and you intend to attend this new school then you must show your new LOA at POE to the immigration officer. He/She will ask you that you are supposed to attend your previous school which is specified in your study permit profile. Now at that point you will tell him/her that now I want to attend this new one. So the immigration officer will update your school information in your Study Permit and will issue you the Study Permit with your updated/new school name on it.

You also need to tell him/her that you are still meeting the finances i.e tuition fee, etc.. of the new school. It can be just a verbal sentence.

SCENARIO # 2: Change of School after getting Study Permit from within Canada

You need to update this in your MYCIC account online.

For example:

A cover letter stating that you have changed your school but you are still as a Full-Time registered student in your new school. LOA from new school is attached with this cover, etc....

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
now i understand that, even if i got the study permit in 2013. and i switch my university now, i just have to tell them via mycic account only. and dont have to apply for a new study permit.

Thanks so much usman_14pk.
that helped me alot.

i am thankful to you from the core of my heart.

numair782

Sep 26, 2013
what else they're gonna need, like bank statement for new university or proof of funds etc? anything? when i update mycic account? please

maysun18

Aug 1, 2014
usman_14pk said:

If you have got your new Acceptance Letter and you intend to attend this new school then you must show your new LOA at POE to the immigration officer. He/She will ask you that you are supposed to attend your previous school which is specified in your study permit profile. Now at that point you will tell him/her that now I want to attend this new one. So the immigration officer will update your school information in your Study Permit and will issue you the Study Permit with your updated/new school name on it.

You also need to tell him/her that you are still meeting the finances i.e tuition fee, etc.. of the new school. It can be just a verbal sentence.

For example:

A cover letter stating that you have changed your school but you are still as a Full-Time registered student in your new school. LOA from new school is attached with this cover, etc....
Thank you very much.

This explanation and advice sounds very logical!

hopeful_786

Star Member
Jun 2, 2014
usman_14pk said:

For example:

Have you logged in MYCIC account..when you click to change institution option..is there any option to submit cover letter?