+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing my name on my Indian passport

Varenya66

Mar 2, 2023
Hello! My passport does not have my surname on and I want to update my surname on my passport as it is causing me problems in places where they need a mandatory surname. I have a student visa that expires in July 2023 and I am eligible for a PGWP but I want to make sure my details are updated and complete on my passport before I apply for the PGWP. If I change my name on my passport in India, how do I travel back? Can I travel back with my old passport plus my new passport and additional documents? I'm not sure what to do as I'm getting conflicting answers. If anyone has gone through this or knows what to do, I would appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance!

hydrakanth

Star Member
Aug 17, 2020
You don't have to update your lastname on your Indian passport. For example if your name is Hari Prasad, just pick Prasad as your last name in all your Canadian documents going forward. It should not create any problems for you in Canada. Ofcourse you can still update your last name as "Prasad" in your Indian passport if you like but it will be pain to do so.... as you need to provide lots of documents to your Indian High Comisison.

Feb 19, 2023
Hello! My passport does not have my surname on and I want to update my surname on my passport as it is causing me problems in places where they need a mandatory surname. I have a student visa that expires in July 2023 and I am eligible for a PGWP but I want to make sure my details are updated and complete on my passport before I apply for the PGWP. If I change my name on my passport in India, how do I travel back? Can I travel back with my old passport plus my new passport and additional documents? I'm not sure what to do as I'm getting conflicting answers. If anyone has gone through this or knows what to do, I would appreciate your advice. Thank you in advance!
It’s better you add your surname on Indian passport before you apply for Work permit or PR. Please reach out to your Canada local BLS office and get more information. You can get an application form from BLS website and you may also need Affidavit from a notary about your name change. I know that BLS require appointment now. But I am pretty sure you can walk in as well. You will get your old passport says cancelled and new passport with correct name within a month. Hope this helps.