+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Jobs While on ICT Visa

Gunaanug

Apr 4, 2017
Hi All,

would appreciate if anyone can provide a suggestion for my situation:

my current ICT visa is expiring on Oct end. My extension application has been filed already and per current processing timelines, it would be approved by Mid November which would mean that i would be on 'implied status' during the 1st two weeks of November. My question is: can i switch jobs/employer during this period, provided there is already a job offer. if so, what would the new employer need to do?

thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi All,

would appreciate if anyone can provide a suggestion for my situation:

my current ICT visa is expiring on Oct end. My extension application has been filed already and per current processing timelines, it would be approved by Mid November which would mean that i would be on 'implied status' during the 1st two weeks of November. My question is: can i switch jobs/employer during this period, provided there is already a job offer. if so, what would the new employer need to do?

thanks.
No - you certainly cannot switch jobs. Implied status only allows you to continue working under the conditions of your old work permit. So you can only work for the job/employer listed on your current ICT visa.

You need a new work permit to switch jobs/employers. Your new employer has to start by obtaining an approved LMIA. Once the LMIA is approved, you will need to apply for a closed work permit. Once the closed work permit is approved, you can start working for your new employer.

Gunaanug

Apr 4, 2017
thanks for responding. Appreciate it. Just to be clear that i understood clearly: while I am waiting to have my Visa extension approved, my new employer can start with Job offer, LMIA process in parallel. Just that i cannot formally change jobs without the approval of a new closed work permit. Is that correct?

Can a new closed work permit be applied when the current work permit extension application is waiting for approval?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks for responding. Appreciate it. Just to be clear that i understood clearly: while I am waiting to have my Visa extension approved, my new employer can start with Job offer, LMIA process in parallel. Just that i cannot formally change jobs without the approval of a new closed work permit. Is that correct?

Can a new closed work permit be applied when the current work permit extension application is waiting for approval?
Yes - that's right. Your new employer can start the LMIA process. Once your new employer has the approved LMIA, you can then apply for a new closed work permit. Once the new closed work permit is approved, you can start working for your new employer.