+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing from student visa to work visa without graduating

artemis

Dec 26, 2013
Hi everyone, I need some advice:

I currently still have an year left to complete a second undergraduate degree in a Canadian university. But due to financial difficulties, I won't be able to continue.

Since I already have an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and an year of work experience in the oil sector(both in home country), I was thinking of applying for jobs.

My question is, assuming i find a job,will companies be able to sponsor my work visa? I'm not sure about the legal stuff... Am I allowed to shift from a student visa to work visa without completing the course?

am I likely to find a job even though I haven't completed the course I came here to do?

Right now since I won't be able to continue my studies, the only other option I see is to leave the country since I have to be enrolled full time as a student when I'm here? I'd rather not do this after all the trouble I took to be here.

Any advice?

Thanks for the help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but sure if you can find a company to sponsor an LMIA which requires them to pay 1000 cdn and advertise the job for a few months for any already resident applicants.

The only issue will be that it can be almost impossible to find any company willing to follow through an LMIA application unless someone has unique skills or there is a major skill shortage. This is unlikely would think in the oil sector for example but guess you can try.

If you leave your studies permanently you should at some point really flip your status to visitor if you plan to stay given some time your study permit would be cancelled for non attendance once the uni reports.

Last edited:
Reactions: artemis

artemis

Dec 26, 2013
theres a lot of questions that you need to answer. firstly what course are you studying? how did you manage to convince the vo that studying another bachelor is the right choice for you?

cause now that you intend to terminate your studies due to a lack of money the vo may be less inclined to grant whatever permits that you will need to work in canada. so be prepared to give a very good explanation.

and you should try searching for a company that is willing to "sponsor" you the relevant documents like a LMIA to increase your chances of a work permit being approved. but take note that the vo may just reject you outright due to your financial situation
Thanks for your answer.

Why do you say VO may reject a work permit application due to financial reasons? I mean I have some funds to cover living expenses, just not enough to afford the very high tuition fee my uni charges..

artemis

Dec 26, 2013
just as you said - they are afraid that you dont have money to sustain yourself in canada while you are searching for a job

anyway what were you studying in canada
I'm studying CS.
So if I am able to find a job and then apply for a work permit, then it would be ok?

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I'm studying CS.
So if I am able to find a job and then apply for a work permit, then it would be ok?
You cant get a work permit like that.

In order for you to get a work permit like the earlier poster said you would need to get the employer to apply for and get a LMIA this is a document from the government that says there are no Canadians capable of doing this job, there is unlikely to be a shortage of people with a bachelors who can do this job.
Then you would apply for a closed work permit with this LMIA doc.

I suggest you consider other alternative like switching to a cheaper college or moving to a lower cost of living area.