+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing DLI before or after arrival? (Urgent)

hs perera

Aug 31, 2024
Would be really grateful if someone could help me on this matter! I recently moved to Canada under study permit for Masters and I need to change my DLI. I got the offer letter from second uni (high QS ranking and lower course fee) few days before I arrive to Canada. My first uni said that if I change the DLI now before starting the term, my permit will get canceled and I should be actively studying in Canada to change the DLI and said I must complete one term here and then change DLI. Can I study in my first university for 2,3 days and then change the DLI in the IRCC portal? Will it be an issue if act of misrepresentation? Grateful if someone could advise on this!

Last edited:

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Would be really grateful if someone could help me on this matter! I recently moved to Canada under study permit and I need to change my DLI. I got the offer letter from second uni (high QS ranking and lower course fee) few days before I arrive to Canada. My first uni said that if I change the DLI now before starting the term, my permit will get canceled and I should be actively studying in Canada to change the DLI and said I must complete one term here and then change DLI. Can I study in my first university for 2,3 days and then change the DLI in the IRCC portal? Will it be an issue if act of misrepresentation? Grateful if someone could advise on this!
The information provided by the "first uni" is correct. That's the DLI of your study permit. You cannot change DLI. You need to finish at least one term. IRCC has closed off this loop hole of people applying for one place and then change to a cheaper/less likely being approved instiution after. If you do not want to study at the initial DLI, you need to apply for a NEW study permit with the one you want to attend and only come when the new study permit is approved.

It's not an "act" of misrepresentation. your first uni is responsible to report if you stop to attend. And your study permit will be void after you stopped. You cannot simply change DLI on the protal.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Would be really grateful if someone could help me on this matter! I recently moved to Canada under study permit and I need to change my DLI. I got the offer letter from second uni (high QS ranking and lower course fee) few days before I arrive to Canada. My first uni said that if I change the DLI now before starting the term, my permit will get canceled and I should be actively studying in Canada to change the DLI and said I must complete one term here and then change DLI. Can I study in my first university for 2,3 days and then change the DLI in the IRCC portal? Will it be an issue if act of misrepresentation? Grateful if someone could advise on this!
No, you can't do this. Your first university is 100% correct.

If you want to switch DLIs without first studying a full semester at your first DLI, then you need to obtain an new study permit.

So your options are to either study at your first DLI from September to December and then switch to your new DLI - or to obtain a brand new study permit for your new DLI.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Also just to add that if not a Masters/Phd, you will need a new PAL for the new school. But you cannot change universities until completing one semester at the uni on your current study permit.

hs perera

Aug 31, 2024
Also just to add that if not a Masters/Phd, you will need a new PAL for the new school. But you cannot change universities until completing one semester at the uni on your current study permit.
Thank you for your replay. This is regarding Masters in Engineering (MEng).Meanwhile, can I know is there any clause of IRCC states that I need to study at least one term? Will it be an issue if I change the university after3,4 days in the first DLI

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you for your replay. This is regarding Masters in Engineering (MEng).Meanwhile, can I know is there any clause of IRCC states that I need to study at least one term? Will it be an issue if I change the university after3,4 days in the first DLI
Your question has already been answered. Yes, there is a specific IRCC clause that states you need to study at least one term.

Again, yes it will be an issue if you change universities after 3-4 days. If you want to change schools after just a few days, you cannot do that on your current study permit. You need to obtain a new study permit.

Reactions: YVR123

hs perera

Aug 31, 2024
No, you can't do this. Your first university is 100% correct.

If you want to switch DLIs without first studying a full semester at your first DLI, then you need to obtain an new study permit.

So your options are to either study at your first DLI from September to December and then switch to your new DLI - or to obtain a brand new study permit for your new DLI.
Thank you for your reply. Can I know, is it mandatory to apply for a new study permit to change DLI since I already have a permit. And can you please share the link of IRCC mentioning that it is mandatory to study for a one term?

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Thank you for your reply. Can I know, is it mandatory to apply for a new study permit to change DLI since I already have a permit. And can you please share the link of IRCC mentioning that it is mandatory to study for a one term?
Studying for 3days is finding way around the system, you are not complying to the terms and conditions of your study permit. Your DLI will send notification to IRCC anyway. Below from IRCC and link provided as guidelines to assess

show you’re actively pursuing your studies, unless you’re exempt, by
  • being enrolled full-time or part-time during each academic semester (excluding regularly scheduled breaks)

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/study-permit/while-you-study/study-permit-conditions.html
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
It is mandatory to apply for a new study permit because you have a permit in another school’s name, not for the one you want to change to. Actively enroled means a semester. IRCC changed the rule a few years ago because so many students were doing what you want to do. Change schools within a couple of days and then get a refund on tuition. If you do that, school on permit will contact IRCC to cancel your permit, and they have told you that.

Before you change your school or program, you must meet all the conditions of your study permit. This means you must be:

If your application has been approved
If your application for a study permit has been approved and you change your DLI, you must submit a new study permit application with a new letter of acceptance. You must also pay all the fees for the new application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools.html

Reactions: YVR123