+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

change program after getting the visa

lazy_skipper

Feb 26, 2010
hi can anybody tell if i get the visa but than i get an offer from much better university and i wanna change the university or change the program is it possible?

msk

Feb 27, 2010
i found in cic web page about students change courses or change colleges,...students not need to apply again until the valid study permit, please check at frequently ask question in how to apply student permit cic web page.

gunneet

Jun 25, 2010
Yes you are right my dear friend. Please find below the copied text. I am also in same situation. Actually I have applied to Humber College for post graduate certificate in Toronto but after I got my study permit, I got offer letter for Master's from Concordia University. Now I am in typical situation some of the people says that I need to apply again for study permit and some says its not required. What could be the right solution? I want something strong opinion from somebody so that I don't have to face problem after reaching to canada. I am going for fall-10.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Frequently asked questions:
Studying in Canada
Study permits

I am already in Canada and have a valid study permit. I would like to change my school or program of studies. What do I need to do to modify my study permit?

If you are a student at the primary school level and you are moving on to high school or if you are a high school student and you are moving on to post-secondary studies, you need to submit an application to modify your study permit at the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Case Processing Centre in Vegreville, Alberta.

However, if you are enrolled in a post-secondary program (doing studies after the high school level), you may change your school, level, program and field of studies without applying for a new study permit. You don’t need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid.

xander_jon79

Aug 9, 2010
Hi gunnet and everyone else,

I am in almost the same situation. I was approved for a study permit for UPEI, but I want to transfer to a postsecondary college in Toronto. So what is the definitive answer to the question of whether or not we have to re-apply for a new study permit?
I am for the September intake.

Please respond.

lovepreet

Star Member
Jul 14, 2010
Mars
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey guys

Read this thread to know answer to your questions - http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/can-i-change-my-course-after-visa-t49831.0.html

All the best

xander_jon79

Aug 9, 2010
Hi lovepreet,

So, at the port of entry, must I inform the officer that I am planning to change institutions (from University of Prince Edward Island to Centennial College) and program of study (from Master's degree to a 2-year diploma in Hospitality Management)?

Or will that be a bad idea, and cause a denial of study permit (since a study permit can only be given at the port of entry)??

Also, am I correct to assume that I can transfer to ANY institution in ANY province? I have been informed by centennial college by email that I have been accepted to their Hospitality Management program, although I DO NOT have a hard copy of the acceptance letter yet.

I will be leaving on the 29TH OF AUGUST, 2010.

Please advise. Thanks.

hgfedcba

Jan 3, 2017
As I know, you don't need to inform officer about that. Just change the DLI.
However, you have to show the payment proof of tuition which you applied with when you enter Canada.
After that, drop a previous course and you can change the institution to another if the college or university is different.

----------------
# I want to change my school or program of study. How can I change my study permit?

- Post-secondary student

You may change your school, program, field of study or level of study (e.g. from the Bachelor level to the Masters level) without applying for a new study permit. You do not need to apply for a change to the condition of your study permit, either. You may continue to use your study permit as long as it is valid. Get step-by-step instructions on how to notify CIC that you have changed DLI’s using your MyCIC account.

Duy_Anh

Jul 15, 2021
Hi lovepreet,

So, at the port of entry, must I inform the officer that I am planning to change institutions (from University of Prince Edward Island to Centennial College) and program of study (from Master's degree to a 2-year diploma in Hospitality Management)?

Or will that be a bad idea, and cause a denial of study permit (since a study permit can only be given at the port of entry)??

Also, am I correct to assume that I can transfer to ANY institution in ANY province? I have been informed by centennial college by email that I have been accepted to their Hospitality Management program, although I DO NOT have a hard copy of the acceptance letter yet.

I will be leaving on the 29TH OF AUGUST, 2010.

Please advise. Thanks.
Hi Xander_jon79,

Could you tell me how did it go for you ? Did you show your new LOA to the border officer ? I am in the same situation right now.