+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of status?

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Hi is it possible for me to visit Canada as a short term student for 2 weeks(to improve my english before I'd apply for a job) and then while in there change my status to worker? if so what kind of documents would I need to enter Canada as a student and most importantly what documents would I need for the work? I know that most of them are from the employer but I sure need to get some papers too I'm from Czech Republic thank you very much for your response I appreciate it have a beautiful day.
Tom

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
not sure if you are from visa exempt country, if so, you do not need to visa to visit in Canada for short term (up to 6 month ) study or travel.
you need a round ticket though.

otherwise, you need to apply for TRV to visit Canada.

if you want to study in Canada for more than 6 month, you need to apply for study permit.

if you want to work in Canada, you need to have a job offer and apply for work permit.

you can do in Canada (apply for study/work permit) while you are in Canada.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
Hi what do you mean by "rough ticket" ? I understand now that for only 2 weeks I'd be there as a visitor so could I apply for work permit while I'd be enrolled in that 2 week program?

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Iasfhn said:
Hi what do you mean by "rough ticket" ? I understand now that for only 2 weeks I'd be there as a visitor so could I apply for work permit while I'd be enrolled in that 2 week program?
which type of work permit do u think u will apply too? Ur employer will need to apply for LMIA once approved u can use that to apply for a closed work permit tied to the employer. The whole process will take about 4+ months. This assuming u find an employer willing to sponsor u one the first day u land. This does not happen it will take atleast2-3 months to find a job unless u have some exceptional skills or ur profession is high in demand.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iasfhn said:
if you come to Canada as a visitor (hold TRV) you must have a round plane ticket which prove that you are going back to your country.
whether you are gonna apply for work permit in Canada or not, you should have round ticket.

if you tell CBSA that you are going to apply for work permit without job offer and do not have round ticket, there is pretty good change that you are going to get denied to enter Canada and send to home.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
mead I'd like to apply for just a "little job like working in a restaurant or cleaning floors"
Floomy thanks I do have 2 tickets I even called to an embassy and they told me that without the secong ticket that would guarantee my way back they wouldn't even let me on the plain. So yes I do have both.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iasfhn said:
mead I'd like to apply for just a "little job like working in a restaurant or cleaning floors"
Floomy thanks I do have 2 tickets I even called to an embassy and they told me that without the secong ticket that would guarantee my way back they wouldn't even let me on the plain. So yes I do have both.
you cannot work without work permit.
You need a work permit for any kinds of job (work for a company, restaurant or clean floors)
if you get caught to work without work permit, you would get deported and ban to enter Canada.

so I would not take any risk.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
You're absolutely right I don't want to do anything illegal but isn't there more types of work permit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iasfhn said:
You're absolutely right I don't want to do anything illegal but isn't there more types of work permit?
Yes - there are. But you don't qualify for them.

Iasfhn

Nov 12, 2015
So can I apply for student/work permit even tho I'd be there for 2 weeks as a visitor I'm still there studying and being a part of educational program.

yyzstudent

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2015
1: You don't need a study permit to study for two weeks. You don't need a study permit if your program is SHORTER THAN 6 months.

2: You can not work without a work permit.

3: You need a work permit for any job, be it in a restaurant, cleaning floors, picking up garbage.

Start here for all the information you need:

www.cic.gc.ca

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Iasfhn said:
So can I apply for student/work permit even tho I'd be there for 2 weeks as a visitor I'm still there studying and being a part of educational program.
No - you can't.

If you are studying for six months or less, no study permit is required and you can study as a visitor in Canada. However it is illegal to work.

In order to obtain a study permit and also be able to work part time while you study, the course you plan to take in Canada must be at least six months long and a full time program. The program must also result in a degree, diploma or certificate through a school that is recognized by CIC. If you meet these requirements and are able to obtain a study permit, then you can work for up to 20 hours per week off campus during your studies.

floomy

Dec 17, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Iasfhn said:
Ok let's say this I'm in Canada can i make money on the itnernet?
before you ask bunch of questions, you should check out CIC and apply for visa (whatever you need to - TRV, study, work permit)

you are not in Canada yet, and worry how to make money in Canada already.

p.s as far as i know, if you get paid with Canadian currency, it considers as working (even online sale)