+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of program

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
Hey guys.
Can you please tell if I am allowed to change my program within the school? Let's say I am enrolled in a 2-year diploma program, which is International Business, but I don't like it and Idecided to change the field completely. Can I change it to a 2-year nursing program at the same college? Do I have to notify CIC? Do I have to explain my switch? Or can my Study permit be even revoked? Thanks!

Asher89

Sep 9, 2014
you cant always switch between courses. you need to satisfy the requirements and availability in the new course.. If you dont get availability, you cant transfer. As you get into a different program. they will ask you to pay the fees at first.. So, you will be paying the fees before you even get to canada. Then in-order for you to transfer to other course, it will take some time.. Probably 1-2 months if everything is good.. Once you do, you will restart the new course. what you learned in older course will no longer be useful..

You can ask the University/college whether you need to inform cic and the procedure for that.

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Yes you can switch courses but it depends on your school. ..Some colleges allows u to switch programs after d first one week of school and you have to meet d entry requirements of the program u intend switching to...contact the international department of ur school dy would give u info dat applies to ur sch. .....u will have to notify cic on ur mycic account.

karan mehra

Sep 11, 2014
Punjab
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
luvly3 said:
Yes you can switch courses but it depends on your school. ..Some colleges allows u to switch programs after d first one week of school and you have to meet d entry requirements of the program u intend switching to...contact the international department of ur school dy would give u info dat applies to ur sch. .....u will have to notify cic on ur mycic account.
can i change my diploma from business administration to business:mgt and entrepreneurship in same college ?? jan 2015 intake

oswaldz

Oct 1, 2013
Canada
Category........
QSW
App. Filed.......
to be filed
Passport Req..
27 November 2015
VISA ISSUED...
27 November 2015
LANDED..........
15 December 2015
karan mehra said:
can i change my diploma from business administration to business:mgt and entrepreneurship in same college ?? jan 2015 intake
Yes . After course begins

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
luvly3 said:
Yeah, but what if I make a radical switch of majors - from Business to Nursing? Do I have to provide reasons for such a change to CIC? Could my study permit be refused then?

luvly3

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
Not likely. ...as long as it fufills d condition of ur study permit which usually say u must b enrolled in any post secondary institution ....nothing is said abt courses....if u have do change ur course it's beta u do it when u get to d school den u already have ur study permit wit u...

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
luvly3 said:
Not likely. ...as long as it fufills d condition of ur study permit which usually say u must b enrolled in any post secondary institution ....nothing is said abt courses....if u have do change ur course it's beta u do it when u get to d school den u already have ur study permit wit u...
Thanks, I know that I have to change the course only once I am in school. My study permit is issued for two years, and if I change the program after the first semester, I would have to start the new program all over again. So basically I would need another 2 years, but I've would have already used half a year for the original program. So I would need to extend my study permit for another half a year for the second program. Might there be issues with extension?

zainu03

Aug 12, 2014
luvly3 said:
THERE IS NO OPTION OF NOTIFY CHANGING PROGRAM on MY CIC...

THERE IS option of change of DLI only..

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
zainu03 said:
THERE IS NO OPTION OF NOTIFY CHANGING PROGRAM on MY CIC...

THERE IS option of change of DLI only..
So that means that I should not notify of changing the program. I can change to any program I want. I just have to tell CIC if I want to change school.
Right?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

yumirdci said:
So that means that I should not notify of changing the program. I can change to any program I want. I just have to tell CIC if I want to change school.
Right?
1. Yes, as of 01/08/14 you no longer have to inform CIC of a change of school, as long as it on the list.

fahad123

Sep 27, 2013
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
What if we change length of program from 4yrs degree to 1 year certificate ?
Can i complete 2 different certificates of one year each with same study permit or i will need to apply for another study permit after i complete my 1 year certificate course ?
P.S i have 4 years Visa

yumirdci

Sep 9, 2014
PMM said:
Hi

1. Yes, as of 01/08/14 you no longer have to inform CIC of a change of school, as long as it on the list.
You didn't have to inform CIC BEFORE 01/06/14. Now I think you have to, even if you change programs, because it is clearly stated on your SP which course are you taking and which school you are attending. So changing a program means obtaining a new Study Permit.

God of war

Aug 27, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
yumirdci said:
You didn't have to inform CIC BEFORE 01/06/14. Now I think you have to, even if you change programs, because it is clearly stated on your SP which course are you taking and which school you are attending. So changing a program means obtaining a new Study Permit.

Yeah still but I guess there won't be any problem if you change your course or college or both, as long as you are enrolling in same intake.

aly911

Star Member
Jul 31, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 30, 2014/August 1, 2014
Med's Request
July 2, 2014
Med's Done....
July 14, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
August 14, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
yumirdci said:
Changing a program means obtaining a new sp? Are you sure about this? The last time I check cic, it was stated that you don't need to inform them if you change the program or school, as long as the school is one of the DLIs. Or are there any new rules I've missed? Hmm..