+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change of Institution

MaxEater

Jan 27, 2014
Hey...

I got my visa for University of Victoria. I am in my home country yet.
Now I also have secured my admission in UBC and I am planning to attend UBC rather than UVictoria.

I want to inform CIC about it so that I can get updated Study Permit paper on my Passport at POE by the immigration officer.
So how I can inform CIC about the change of university?

P.S.: I know that we are allowed to change the university without even telling CIC but I need to avoid complexities and want the updated Study Permit paper by the immigration officer at POE.

WaseemWasii

Mar 20, 2013
MaxEater said:
Hey...

Now I also have secured my admission in UBC and I am planning to attend UBC rather than UVictoria.

I want to inform CIC about it so that I can get updated Study Permit paper on my Passport at POE by the immigration officer.

P.S.: I know that we are allowed to change the university without even telling CIC but I need to avoid complexities and want the updated Study Permit paper by the immigration officer at POE.
You Don't need to Contact CIC for that, Just show Immigration Officer the New Offer Letter and He will Just Ask , Answer him that you have Changed Institution That's it. He will Give you the Updated Study Permit with UBC mentioned in that.

P.S : I saw three Guys who Did that And Got their Study Permit Updated.

mahmoudswessi

Apr 22, 2014
Dear WaseemWasii peace be upon you

in case that i want to change the district from ontario to british colombia is it possible keep in mid that i am still in my home country and i have visa in my passport

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
mahmoudswessi said:
in case that i want to change the district from ontario to british colombia is it possible keep in mid that i am still in my home country and i have visa in my passport
YES, it is very much possible.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
mahmoudswessi said:
Are sure my brother. And no need to inform cic
Normally, changing of universities, you don't need to inform the CIC. However, conditions still apply. Eg. if your formal university offered you with a scholarship and the new university did not, then at the POE, you'll need to prove that you've money for your tuition, accommodation, food and others. All admission letters and financial documents are checked at the POE in Canada. If the immigration officer at the Canadian POE isn't satisfy that you can meet the requirements of your new university, you'll be turned back to your home country. Just make sure everything is fine, but no need to inform CIC, unless in your approval letter there is condition that restricts you to a particular Province or university. But I hope there is not, so no worries.

deargupt

Feb 13, 2014
Hi , I am a similar situation. My study application has been approved on the basis of UVic while I have offer from UoC and I plan to join UoC now.
The program in UVic starts from Aug while program in UoC starts in Sept and similarly it ends a month earlier for Uvic and later for UoC.
Since the TRV duration would be based on UVic program , don't I need to inform CIC to change start and end dates in TRV ?
UoC is expensive than UVic but as you said we can prove sufficient funds at POE so this is not a problem.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
be careful guys when changing institute ...rules r changing june 1 ...

"You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

usman_14pk

Champion Member
Jan 29, 2013
mead said:
be careful guys when changing institute ...rules r changing june 1 ...

"You must notify CIC via your MyCIC account when you are transferring from one designated learning institution to another, even if it is at the same level of study."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp
"notify via MyCIC accout"

This is the case when you are residing in Canada.
Please correct me if I am wrong but what I know is, we can access MyCIC account after getting our Study Permit. So that means, it is the case when we are already residing in Canada as International Student and already studying in an institute and then planning to change our institute.

But if we are going to receive our Study Permit for the very first time, in that case, we just need to show the new LOA at POE to the immigration officer rather than to update something at MyCIC.

This is what makes sense to me.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
mahmoudswessi said:
Are sure my brother. And no need to inform cic
UPDATE
I just read from the new rules: if you change a university, you must up-date CIC through the online application or through the CPU. So, to be on the safer side, just inform them that you're changing your university. But all conditions must be met. The changes must be on the same level: similair program but only changing the university.

dok

Apr 20, 2014
deargupt said:
Hi , I am a similar situation. My study application has been approved on the basis of UVic while I have offer from UoC and I plan to join UoC now.
The program in UVic starts from Aug while program in UoC starts in Sept and similarly it ends a month earlier for Uvic and later for UoC.
Since the TRV duration would be based on UVic program , don't I need to inform CIC to change start and end dates in TRV ?
UoC is expensive than UVic but as you said we can prove sufficient funds at POE so this is not a problem.
UPDATE
I just read from the new rules: if you change a university, you must up-date CIC through the online application or through the CPU. So, to be on the safer side, just inform them that you're changing your university. But all conditions must be met. The changes must be on the same level: similair program but only changing the university.

roland27

Jun 3, 2014
what does it mean by "similar program"? If I change from a phd program to master program, does it make any trouble when landing in Canada?

Samadhani

Jul 15, 2014
MaxEater said:
Hey...

Would you please share ur profile? I am planning to apply to UBC and Victoria..
Du you think i have any chance of getting into these universities
my profile
Btech mechanical- 7.65
Ielts- 7.0