+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Change in marital status after receiving ITA, but before submitting documents

salar.m94

Nov 4, 2023
I am not a Canadian citizen. I opened my EE profile on 21st October and received ITA on 26th October in a Health Care draw. The draw minimum CRS score was 431 and my CRS score was 496 (I am 29 years old; I am a medical doctor which is equivalent to master's degree in EE system; I have got maximum score from IELTS exam: L=9, R=9, W=7.5, S=7.5; my sister is Canadian PR; I have more than 3 years of work experience).

However, although I am single now, I am planning to get married with my partner before leaving our current country for Canada. I have consulted lawyers who told me not to engage/get married until I get PR card (they wanted to provide me with a straight-forward piece of advice). These lawyers argue that in case I change my marital status in the 2-month period, within which I have to upload my documents to IRCC website, my chances of not getting immigration visa as well as Canada PR is increased. This is because they believe that by doing so, the immigration officer might consider my marriage a fabricated/untrue engagement (just for immigration purposes). Nevertheless, it is going to be an authentic marriage based on true love. I would extremely like to marry her before leaving my current country for Canada as this would show her that I am committed to her and will wait for her until she is also able to come to Canada. Unfortunately, she currently cannot leave our current country as she has to work for Ministry of Health for the following 22 months.

Now, my question is in case I legally marry her within this 60-day period, and change my marital status respectively in IRCC website to "Married but my wife is not coming to Canada with me", are my chances of getting PR decreased? and or the processing time is prolonged? Is anyone here with the same situation but in the past who would appropriately guide me what to do?
Even if I change my marital status to "Married, and my wife is going to come to Canada with me", my CRS score would be 460 (way above 431, which was the minimum CRS score cut-off for health care draw took place on 26th October, the very draw from which I got ITA). However, but declaring "Married but my wife is not coming with me to Canada" my CRS score remains the same (496).

It is the case that even if I am going to wait until I get my PR card then marry by coming back to my current country from Canada there still going to be problems. Firstly, it is going to be a huge gap, about a year, from now up until the time I can come back to my current country from Canada. Secondly, I have to incur the costs of 2 more long-haul plane tickets. Lastly, the issue of a would-be fabricated marriage would still persist.

Finally, does anyone know in case I do not marry in this 60-day period that I have for uploading documents and instead, marry before getting my immigrant visa and before landing in Canada, are my chances of getting visa and PR card decreased? Even if I notify IRCC the moment/on the date I marry? Are there risks associated with this plan? It is because ideally, if we do not consider the immigration as a priority and would like to let things go naturally and not to hurry and speed up the marriage process, we are likely to marry in 4 to 5 months. This would fall within the process of my application processing, right before passport pick-up for issuing immigrant visa. I am in a dilemma whether to decline this ITA I have received and wait form marriage to happen and then wait for another draw OR go with this already received ITA but notify IRCC when I am married before receiving my PR card.

I wholeheartedly appreciate your participation in this discussion and your precious advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muhammad.ilyas
Aug 26, 2024
Hello,

I hope you are doing well and have your PR by now. I am in the same situation and am looking forward to the question you asked above. Could you please guide me? How did you manage or what was the outcome of your application with or without adding a spouse? Thank you!