+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chance of Getting Student Visa

Walther

Jun 30, 2017
Hello,

I am a brazilian and I have studied Physics for one year, then I dropped it and now I am studying Mech. Engineering here in Brazil. I didn't previously knew that it was easy for international students to apply for courses in Canada, and that's basically why I haven't applied yet.

I have been to Canada once in my highschool, for a month, as an exchange student. I have lands here on Brazil, have quite a decent amount of money and a girlfriend, which can be considered a stable union(Not sure how that is called in english).

I have taken TOEFL ITP and almost maxed it out, and I intend to take IELTS in August. I'm completely sure my grades on the test will be great, so english level is not a concern.

I wanted to know what are my chances of getting a student visa given I am approved in some of the following universities, in a Mech. Eng. course: University of Alberta, University of Victoria, University British Columbia or University of Waterloo

good boy

Feb 17, 2017
Your chance depends on two things - finance (stable source of income- parents salary/business etc ), Explanation of study gap. You must explain why are you not pursuing mech engg in Brazil.

Also your GF is not tie to home country, unless you get married and leave her behind to come to Canada!
Standard ties are - family members/ business/ job prospect/ property in your /parent's name

Your profile looks strong so far.

Reactions: Walther

Walther

Jun 30, 2017
Explanation of study gap. You must explain why are you not pursuing mech engg in Brazil.
Your profile looks strong so far.
Ok, I see. Could you elaborate on that a little bit more?

By study gap do you mean why I changed courses?

Also, I am actually pursuing Mech. Eng. here in Brazil at the moment. Do you mean why I will not be pursuing here in Brazil and instead of this going to Canada?

If I understood what you meant by that, then the answer is basically the same for both: I found myself in a situation that I thought wasn't challenging me enough academically, and wasn't a fruitful environment for people that really wanted to study hard, simply because you are not rewarded for that, but for other more random criteria.

Anyways, I could write a lot about the state of art of science and engineering here in Brazil, as well as about the Universities here, but let's leave that to other time. Just knowing wheter I understand what you meant by the quoted senteces is enough for me.

Thank you for aking your time to answer me!