+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified (Notarized) Documents

canswede

Oct 1, 2008
Hi

I'm just wondering what others have done regarding getting documents certified (notarized) when translating these docs into English. Is certified good enough or do you also need them to be notarized as well? I have a certified translator who signs and attests to her abilities and good standing in the ATIA. To have it notarized it takes more time and more money to have the official seal or stamp that comes with the notary...this is my understanding as best as I can figure out.
Do we need both or is the certified documents enough?
I've never been able to get through to ask at the CIC call center.
Would appreciate anyone's experiences with this one.

Thank you

canswede

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Certified by the translator was good enough when I did it but if in doubt, call CIC or the embassy to make sure.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
Of course the first page of the region specific forms for Sweden says...

"Assemble all your documents as listed. Check () each applicable item on the list and attach the list to your
documents (a paper clip will do). Send originals of the immigration forms (items 1 to 5 below) and police
certificates. Send photocopies of all other documents, unless instructed otherwise. Do not send your
documents in transparency pockets, binders or folders. If your documents are not in English or French, send
a notarized (certified) translation with a copy of the originals."

canswede

Oct 1, 2008
Thanks Leon & Frolic

I have read that many times. I wish it was clear if they want notarized "and/or" certified.
When they state "notarized" then follow with "certified" in (brackets) what does that mean?
Does it mean both...or just one? I'm confused? anyone else?
Why can't they say one or the other... or both?

cheers

canswede

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if they say certified within brackets, I would think either one is acceptable but call the embassy to make sure.

frolic

Jul 21, 2008
The translator signs to certify the translation is good and true, and the notary witnesses the signature of the translator. This is a certified and notarized translation.

You can have a notarized translation done by a translator that is not a certified translator and then it is JUST a notarized translation.

In the interest of providing the best possible paperwork we did both since this is our future life together we are dealing with.

DutchMan

Mar 12, 2008
Hi Canswede,

I was in the same situation. I had to proof that me and my Canadian girlfriend were living together for 5 years in Holland.
The normal forms at townhall are in Dutch, and translation and certifying by a notary are very expensive.
I asked townhall for an international version of that document and got it in English with a government stamp on it. Cost me no more than 10 Euro.

Got my PPR 2 weeks ago :)

NewYorker

Nov 4, 2008
Rule of thumb;

Unless Originals are requested, send all copies as certified documents. You want to ensure them that all documents are the true copy of the originals.

Don't be in doubt.

M

med

certified documents are quite enough plus the the brackets they put around certified means either notarized or certified grammatically speaking .

canswede

Oct 1, 2008
Thank you everyone for your help with this, greatly appreciated!
Congrats DutchMan.

We will send our app very soon and settle in for the long wait...hopefully not too long.

cheers

canswede

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
I just want to double check something...

When they say certified/notarized, does that have to be done in Canada or can it be done abroad?

I'll be applying from Slovenia, I need to get a document translated. I just want to know if it's ok if I get it translated here and have a translator from Slovenia certify it or do I have to send it to my husband in Canada and have him to the works there? I found nothing about that in the guides.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It's ok to have the translator certify it. That is what I did and they did not give me any problems.

Luiza

Nov 25, 2008
Brazil
Does that apply for applications processed even outside Canada? If it is going to be processed in the home country, I don't think it makes much sense to translate the documents. :) Thankfully I can send everything in portuguese, the papers I got from CIC says that I can send in either french, english or portuguese, translations will only be needed if it is in any other language than those 3...

Sorry, I'm new here, just trying to figure out some stuff. :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you don't have to translate, you would just have to find somebody to certify your copies or whatever they request to be certified anyway.