+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certified Copies of Digital Documents?

May 27, 2024
I'm hoping I can learn a bit and eventually get some help. I am a Canadian living overseas with my wife and I am sponsoring her for PR. I'm new and I am having some doubt about the requires to provide a translation along with a certified copy of some documents that are not in English or French.

Basically, I'm good with the marriage certificate and other official documents. I am getting a certified copy of those.

But we also need to provide our lease and some utility bills. Those are digital-only. I am getting these translated but will I also need to provide certified copies of these documents? I read somewhere that it's mainly the official documents that need certified copies, and not these lesser documents, but I am not sure, especially when it comes to "digital-only" copies since there does not exist any original!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Basically, I'm good with the marriage certificate and other official documents. I am getting a certified copy of those.

But we also need to provide our lease and some utility bills. Those are digital-only. I am getting these translated but will I also need to provide certified copies of these documents? I read somewhere that it's mainly the official documents that need certified copies, and not these lesser documents, but I am not sure, especially when it comes to "digital-only" copies since there does not exist any original!
Personally I did not get certified copies of these, just printed copies with - or more accurately just let the translator attach the copy they were translating. You are correct it is a different matter for 'official' documents.

YMMV.

Actually I did something not recommended which was include some very short docs (eg a few bills) that were in a language I knew the visa office that would get my file uses. Esp since they were basically numbers. But not recommended as in my case I was rather sure that this info was 'surplus', i.e. not critical to the file, just slightly extra info on relationship/financial condition.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123