+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

certificate of qualification from a Canadian province or territory??

camaropomz

Jan 4, 2013
I am Electrical Power Engineer working in United States for past 6 years on H1B visa and also did my Master's in Sceience in Electrical Engineering (emphasis on Power) from United States.

Recently Federal Skilled Trade Program was opened for immigration. Under National Occupational Classification (NOC ); my occupation qualifies "9241 Power engineers and power systems operators" skills trade occupation.

Requirement 4 of the Federal Skilled Trade Program eligibility states that:

"You must have either a qualifying offer of employment (see below) OR a certificate of qualification from a Canadian province or territory in the skilled trade occupation you specify in your application."

My question is:
What is certificate of qualification? Where can I apply to get certificate of qualification for "9241 Power engineers and power systems operators"? Do I qualify with my experience and education for this?

Thank you for your help in advance.

Jan 9, 2013
I also have the same dilemma. How can one get a certificate of qualification from a canadian province/territory if one is still outside canada and still processing papers for application?

There might be some difference in the process depending on the province you want to settle in. Most of the sites I have checked talk about sitting an exam. Maybe there is a different way to get certified if you are outside canada.

I hope someone can shed light on this. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

camaropomz

Jan 4, 2013
I have been looking around and found that in general Federal Trade program is not for Engineers. Although it says Power Engineer are welcome, the jobs they have are mostly labor jobs.

From what I collect each state may have different trades certification and you have to take exam if applicable in that state to qualify.

How somebody outside Canada can take exam is still a mystery. May be applicant can take letter of eligibility to take exam then submit that to immigration and take exam once immigrate to Canada.