+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Certificate obtained 3 years ago, can it be considered for CEC?

brian999

Sep 21, 2011
Hello,

I want to immigrate to Canada! So the best option I have right now is to study and then work then apply for a CEC

3 years ago, I finished a certificate course in BC (BCIT). Ended up not finding a job, changed my student visa into a tourist and did not obtain a PGWP at all. (the rulings were different back then, you need to get a job offer before they would issue you a work permit) So I went home to my home country and worked here.

Anyway, now, I want to study again and plan ahead to get a CEC.
so my question is about education requirements:

Education:

If you want to apply based on your Canadian credentials, you must complete either:

*a full-time Canadian post-secondary educational program of at least two years or

*a one-year Master’s program (certificates and diplomas cannot be counted) and an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program (for a total of two years).

I have asked the international office in school before and to my understanding that for undergrads, to fulfill the first requirement, my study permits needs to be continuous. Meaning I have to posses a study permit that has been valid for 2 years without breaking it in between. They have even told me, it may be even a different course as so long as my first year permit is renewed and valid for the new course. So that marks out the first option. (please do inform if otherwise)

So my question now, is for the second one. Would this also be true? I was hoping with my BCIT certificate, I can just take up a 1 year masters course and work for 1 year to be able fulfill CEC requirements. It says "an additional year of education, obtained in Canada, before admission into the one-year program" So I am hoping.... Anyone know if I can use my bcit certificate obtained 3 years ago?

Anyway, ever since I went home, I have been looking for ways to migrate to come back to Canada! I like it there and the situation in my country economically and politically isn't getting any better... Any advice would be much much much much appreciated! =D

thanks!

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Unfortunately, the answer is no. The second degree has to be awarded within 2 years of the first degree.

See p. 19 of the OP 25:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op25-eng.pdf

Your options would be to look into a 2-year graduate program, or possibly look at the requirements of the PNP programs.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
brian999 said:
I see, what is a PNP program?
Provincial Nomination Programs

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
brian999 said:
I see, what is a PNP program?
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/provincial/apply-who.asp

brian999

Sep 21, 2011
I see. Many thanks to all of you. I've been reading the PNP program for Strategic Occupation in BC and it seems that I would need an employer which I believe I cannot have as of this moment. Unless I missed something please do tell me.

I have another question about studying. I want to make sure of something. Right now I'm planning so is it correct that I can obtain CEC by studying 2 different undergrad courses (certificate)? Would still count as 2 years of study for the CEC?