+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cerebral palsy

Harinder1990

May 28, 2023
You need to think about whether it makes sense to move even if you overcome medical inadmissibility. Canada has partial Medicare. It has a shortage of many health professionals. Many jobs do not come with extended benefit coverage and if they do have they have caps on how much is covered per year. Hiring additional care for respite or to allow both spouses to work (which is often required to afford to live in Canada) is very expensive and will likely have to be paid out of pocket. Many schools are underfunded so can’t provide enough aides for children who need them. If you are able to access decent healthcare and are able to live off one income, can easily afford to pay for extra care at home, have family support,are able to afford decent schooling, etc. I would really consider why you are moving to Canada and look into whether you have realistic expectations of what Canada can provide for your child. I find many newcomers have unrealistic expectations of what services are available in Canada and often don’t realize that a lot of things are not covered by gvt. In addition things like healthcare and education are stretched to their limits. I could have bought a very nice car for the amount I paid out of pocket for routine physiotherapy over a decade. I was in the fortunate position to be able to access care but many are not so go without. Rates are easily $100 for a half hour in many parts of Canada may be a bit less in less expensive regions but not by much.
Thanks for your suggestion and guidance!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for your suggestion and guidance!
Having a child with disabilities in Canada is very hard for most families since the majority of care falls on the family especially one parent. In addition the high cost of living makes it very difficult to live with only one income. The financial stress and fatigue often lead to parents relationship breaking down which is why having affordable care options and family support are important things to consider. People with disabilities also still face a lot of discrimination and barriers in Canada. Canada is facing a lot of headwinds so also not an ideal time to move to Canada in general if you have decent opportunities in your home country.