+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CELLPHONES IN CANADA - Everything you want 2 know...

fariza

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2010
Australia
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bobby554 said:
Here is a posting by QORAX regarding WIND mobile...quite informative...go through it::

qorax
VIP Member

Ratings: +820

I'm with WINDMOBILE since the day of landing... it's about a yr now... been all over Canada with it... travel a lot -- had NEVER A PROBLEM // No Dropped-Calls // No Coverage Failures // Neither in the GTA - nor beyond -- am I being lucky?

Qorax
Ps.: My internet is thru Windmobile too... using the WindSTICK as I write now. Plainly my opinion - I think Windmobile is a 'boon' to us... especially the newcomers -- where else can I get all unlimited @ $25/month?

...Bobby554
That sound pretty cheap..provided the coverage is alright as you experinced.Even in Australia none of the provider offer for unlimited at this rate...

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fariza said:
That sound pretty cheap..provided the coverage is alright as you experinced.Even in Australia none of the provider offer for unlimited at this rate...
These words are from the Captain ( QORAX ) himself...so I think probably he has got a lot of experience and knowledge to share about any issue...I agree with him 100%...I'll definitely buy a WIND mobile after landing in Toronto this summer ,even without consulting anyone out there !

...Bobby554

bijupv007

Champion Member
Jul 19, 2010
Edmonton
AOR Received.
2nd 17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
APR 2011
LANDED..........
AUG 2011 - Not On My Merits But On His Grace
Bobby554 said:
These words are from the Captain ( QORAX ) himself...so I think probably he has got a lot of experience and knowledge to share about any issue...I agree with him 100%...I'll definitely buy a WIND mobile after landing in Toronto this summer ,even without consulting anyone out there !

...Bobby554
A very good info for the newcomers - buddy :D

done a good job

Biju

bijupv007

Champion Member
Jul 19, 2010
Edmonton
AOR Received.
2nd 17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
APR 2011
LANDED..........
Yes CAPTAIN is using Wind Mobile and he said whn compared to other providers with his friends , this is best and saves a lot

it will be 100% tru , coz its own experiance

biju

Bobby554 said:
Here is a posting by QORAX regarding WIND mobile...quite informative...go through it::

qorax
VIP Member

Ratings: +820

I'm with WINDMOBILE since the day of landing... it's about a yr now... been all over Canada with it... travel a lot -- had NEVER A PROBLEM // No Dropped-Calls // No Coverage Failures // Neither in the GTA - nor beyond -- am I being lucky?

Qorax
Ps.: My internet is thru Windmobile too... using the WindSTICK as I write now. Plainly my opinion - I think Windmobile is a 'boon' to us... especially the newcomers -- where else can I get all unlimited @ $25/month?

...Bobby554

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canada has most expensive cellphone plans in the world: OTI

The New America Foundation's Open Technology Initiative (OTI) has found that Canada has the most expensive cellphone plans in the world at $67.70 per month for a “complete” post-paid cellphone package.

The US was next at $59.99 per month, as opposed to just $13.50 in Hongkong and $12.90 per month in India. After Canada and the US, the U.K. and Japan had the steepest prices. Sweden fared well: in Sweden the same level of service will cost just $34.05.

OTI says that the Indian and Hong Kong markets are considerably cheaper largely because they either rely on a pay-per-use business model or a combination of pay-per-use and a small preset limit.

The Open Technology Initiative (which has Google CEO Eric Schmidt as a board member) has conducted a thorough study, and one with a lot more credibility than the endless panaceas from industry-sponsored "research" that persist in saying that all is well and good in Canada.

Yet again, despite all of the new competition, Canada has the dubious distinction of being the world's most expensive cellphone market.

Canada is one of only five countries that offers unlimited text plans, but the real hit is on incoming calls. In most countries, customers are only charged for outgoing calls, but that's not the case in Canada and the U.S

“Cost structures and business models undoubtedly vary as a result of the level of competition and innovation in each country,” the OTI report said.

Well, if those are the defining parameters, then Canada has been deemed to be sorely lacking in both.

...Bobby554

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Everyone who wants a phone in Canada should be made to read this.

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Bobby, great post. Thanks indeed. It's really unfortunate to know this.

Good luck

Bobby554 said:
Canada has most expensive cellphone plans in the world: OTI

The New America Foundation's Open Technology Initiative (OTI) has found that Canada has the most expensive cellphone plans in the world at $67.70 per month for a “complete” post-paid cellphone package.

The US was next at $59.99 per month, as opposed to just $13.50 in Hongkong and $12.90 per month in India. After Canada and the US, the U.K. and Japan had the steepest prices. Sweden fared well: in Sweden the same level of service will cost just $34.05.

OTI says that the Indian and Hong Kong markets are considerably cheaper largely because they either rely on a pay-per-use business model or a combination of pay-per-use and a small preset limit.

The Open Technology Initiative (which has Google CEO Eric Schmidt as a board member) has conducted a thorough study, and one with a lot more credibility than the endless panaceas from industry-sponsored "research" that persist in saying that all is well and good in Canada.

Yet again, despite all of the new competition, Canada has the dubious distinction of being the world's most expensive cellphone market.

Canada is one of only five countries that offers unlimited text plans, but the real hit is on incoming calls. In most countries, customers are only charged for outgoing calls, but that's not the case in Canada and the U.S

“Cost structures and business models undoubtedly vary as a result of the level of competition and innovation in each country,” the OTI report said.

Well, if those are the defining parameters, then Canada has been deemed to be sorely lacking in both.

...Bobby554

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mezo2009 said:
Bobby, great post. Thanks indeed. It's really unfortunate to know this.

Good luck
Have some more dear...To avoid massive cell phone bills you may be better off keeping a landline if you plan to make a lot of long distance calls to other countries. With a landline, dial-around services and calling cards can be a good option. If you use a cell phone to make long distance calls make sure you understand your contract thoroughly to avoid huge cell phone bills.

COMMON CELL PHONE BILL SURPRISES

* Texting, calling or checking voicemail while travelling -- calling while on vacation or in other countries can lead to huge extra costs on your bill
* Roaming data charges on smart phones -- downloading information, photos and searching the internet can be costly if you're out of your area
* Network access fees in other coverage areas -- you may have to pay other phone companies when you are out of your coverage area
* Toll-free calls -- are not always free. You may have top use minutes from your cell phone plan that can quickly add up
* ‘Free' ringtones -- ringtones may come with added costs, fees that make them not free at all

...Bobby554

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Thanks Bobby. I could understand all these except the Toll free. It's toll free, how come it's not free! Amazing.

Bobby554 said:
Have some more dear...To avoid massive cell phone bills you may be better off keeping a landline if you plan to make a lot of long distance calls to other countries. With a landline, dial-around services and calling cards can be a good option. If you use a cell phone to make long distance calls make sure you understand your contract thoroughly to avoid huge cell phone bills.

* Texting, calling or checking voicemail while travelling -- calling while on vacation or in other countries can lead to huge extra costs on your bill
* Roaming data charges on smart phones -- downloading information, photos and searching the internet can be costly if you're out of your area
* Network access fees in other coverage areas -- you may have to pay other phone companies when you are out of your coverage area
* Toll-free calls -- are not always free. You may have top use minutes from your cell phone plan that can quickly add up
* ‘Free' ringtones -- ringtones may come with added costs, fees that make them not free at all

...Bobby554

bijupv007

Champion Member
Jul 19, 2010
Edmonton
AOR Received.
2nd 17-02-2010
VISA ISSUED...
APR 2011
LANDED..........
Sad to know how expensive cell calls in canada

but me too bobby didnt get the point of toll free numbers being charged???

thanks for sharing

Biju

Bobby554 said:

...Bobby554

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
bijupv007 said:
Sad to know how expensive cell calls in canada

but me too bobby didnt get the point of toll free numbers being charged???

thanks for sharing

Biju
If they want to charge people then they shouldn't call it toll free. I guess like Dubai banks and companies who started to switch from toll free to paid lines to save some money!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Mezo2009 said:
Thanks Bobby. I could understand all these except the Toll free. It's toll free, how come it's not free! Amazing.
Calling a "Toll free" number is normally free from a land line or a VOIP "line".
When the cellphone companies in Canada connect you, they charge because you are using their network.
Nothing is usually free from Canadian telecom companies, every single thing is paid for in some way.

Bobby554

Star Member
Aug 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Baloo said:
Calling a "Toll free" number is normally free from a land line or a VOIP "line".
When the cellphone companies in Canada connect you, they charge because you are using their network.
Nothing is usually free from Canadian telecom companies, every single thing is paid for in some way.
Absolutely right Buddy...Toll Free nos are free from Landline phones only...Dial a Toll free no from any mobile network and see how free it was...?

...Bobby554

Mezo2009

Champion Member
Jan 17, 2011
Toronto
Visa Office......
London
LANDED..........
Oct 2011
Bobby554 said:
Absolutely right Buddy...Toll Free nos are free from Landline phones only...Dial a Toll free no from any mobile network and see how free it was...?

...Bobby554
Loooooooooooool, I definitely won't try it!

dreaming of canada

Mar 14, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Ok this was a MAJOR thorn in our side when we landed here. I will add because I don't think it was mentioned they also charge you a "cap" meaning you can only spend x amount of dollars if you go over they shut the service off plus you give a deposit $200! Because being new here you have no credit. To put it mildly Canada is awful in regards to cell phones! We moved from the states and we kept our US number with AT&T for unlimited and roll over minutes. Canada can not compete! Our plan is a North American plan. Canada does not offer anything like it. They really rip your pockets here.