Oct 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
Hi guys,

I mailed my CEC application in December 2011. I didn't even received my AoR and on April 18, 2012 I received an email from OttPilot Immigration that my CEC is refused. Here's the reason:

"Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: Registered Representative (NOC 1113).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. The job duties contained in your letter of reference from your employer do not match the duties under NOC 1113, Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers. Furthermore, according to the same letter, your position is a Bilingual Customer Service Representative. As such, I am not satisfied that you have 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada."

I do understand that Customer Service WILL NOT be eligible but not all titles are listed in the NOC and I've attached a letter from my employer detailing the duties of my job that requires a license to perform the duties. I have my license in several provinces across Canada.

I don't know whether other factors have affected the refusal. I'm currently holding a post-graduate 3 years work permit that will expire in June 2012. I mailed my CEC application in Dec 2011 to Buffalo. Last month, in March I mailed my application to renew my work permit or I should say, apply for a new work permit as the post-graduate work permit isn't renewable and mailed my application to Vegreville, AB. I received a letter dated in April 12, 2012 saying that my work permit is refused and they needed a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). The wording of the letter sounds like if I was able to provide a LMO my work permit will be approved. In my head I was thinking: If I just got my work permit refused then my CEC will be refused too" and indeed, it happened.

What I'm thinking right now is, if I'm able to provide LMO I may get my work permit approved. If I have an LMO it means that my position falls under level A or B and it may lead to my approval in CEC if I appeal.

Guys, I really really need your feedback, advice, opinion on this. Like most of us, I'm doing this on my own. The fact that I didn't even received an AoR for my CEC class, and the 2 types of applications got refused almost at the same time... is it coincidence? :'( Also if I mailed my CEC application to Buffalo, why is the Case Proccessing Centre in Ottawa did my assessment???? My work permit is expiring soon and I'm very worried because I'll not have an status in Canada. I do want to have a work permit and not a tourist visa because I rely on my work experience to appeal in CEC or apply again.

Please help me! Thank you so much.

immicec

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
CORRECTION: I received the AoR by email on April 17, 2012 (I just double check my junk email). Refused on April 18, 2012 for CEC class.
My case was transferred from Buffalo to Ottawa to speed up the process according to the AoR email. What a speed, got it refused now!

I do need your help guys pls!

calgarylady

Star Member
Apr 17, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-12-2011
IELTS Request
Included with Application
immicec said:
CORRECTION: I received the AoR by email on April 17, 2012 (I just double check my junk email). Refused on April 18, 2012 for CEC class.
My case was transferred from Buffalo to Ottawa to speed up the process according to the AoR email. What a speed, got it refused now!

I am sorry :5, I really dont what to say or guess what went wrong, I am guessing somebody should review what you have submitted.

And with regards to the Work permit, it has nothing to do with ur PR application, u need LMO if u dnt have ur application gets rejected because it is a requirment.

U only have few months left, so u should focus on reapplying, make sure u have the right Noc and make sure ur employment letters describe ur duties as per the NOC and also the time u were employed to confirm u have more than a yr of expericnace also ur tax forms and tax assessment papers, those also help and confirm u have been paid and word for a yr ....

Dnt be frustrated, 2 ppl I know have been rejected yesterday as well for diff reasons, so they r just now wokrin on recollecting thief papers and reapplying ...

I didn't hear frm them yet, and I am very worried as well :(

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You work permit and CEC being refused have nothing to do with each other. Your work permit was refused because you need an approved LMO from your employer to qualify for a work permit. PGWP are LMO exempt. However now that your PGWP is expiring, you need an approved LMO if you want to apply for a regular work permit and continue working. You should speak with your employer asap to find out if they are willing to apply for an LMO. If they aren't, then you need to find a new employer who is if you wish to keep working.

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Hey immicec,

I'm really sorry to hear about your refusal. I have applied under the same NOC as I work as a licensed trader with one of the big bank's discount brokerage. Initially I applied in August 2011 and got refused in October.

At the time, I thought the experience they refused was that of my previous employer, which i was afraid of because the title of the role and the actual job duties were very different. But when i was collecting my papers again, I was shocked to realize that my refusal was for my current job not meeting the requirements. I was extremely shocked at the same time a little bit frustrated with myself because I had an equal share of the blame. I had become so paranoid about my previous job, that I had paid a lot of attention to preparing a job letter with lots of details and having them signed by my old boss, I had become so caught up in that, that for my current job, I just got a generic letter of employment stating my positions salary service etc, without detailing specific job duties. I guess I was relaxed because in the NOC catgeory, three of the example job titles applied to me i.e "Investment Representative Licensed, Discount Broker, Registered Representative", but regardless, I should have been more diligent.

What also annoyed me, was that clearly the case officer would have seen that the title was a valid one, and could have just asked for another letter, instead of rejecting it, but I understand it is within their right.

Back to your case, I would do what I did. Write up a sample work letter, and get it approved and signed by your manager/ branch manager. In the job, clearly state your status (fulltime/part time - total annual hours if PT), salary or wage, length of service, and job duties. In the duties specifically, mentioned the licenses you have obtained (attach copies of the license certificates with your application as well just in case), mention the nature in which you use these license (i.e place trades for equities, money markets, bonds, derivatives/ Provide advice to clients(if you're a reg rep)/ Execute trade in compliance to IIROC and company guidelines and policies etc.)

Best of luck with this, and I am really sorry to hear.. I'm in a very similar situation, i applied in December again, and my WP expiring this month. I reapplied just like you did, but knowing that it will 99% get rejected, but at least it will buy me an extra 2/3 weeks, at which point I'll have to leave my company, but with the possibility of returning as soon as this is sorted out. At this same time i hope my app is moving along because i got my AOR and medical request beginning of this month

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
immicec said:
Last month, in March I mailed my application to renew my work permit or I should say, apply for a new work permit as the post-graduate work permit isn't renewable and mailed my application to Vegreville, AB. I received a letter dated in April 12, 2012 saying that my work permit is refused and they needed a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). The wording of the letter sounds like if I was able to provide a LMO my work permit will be approved. In my head I was thinking: If I just got my work permit refused then my CEC will be refused too" and indeed, it happened.
First problem first - Your employer does need to apply for an LMO. They do not have to demonstrate recruitment efforts, but do have to explain the reason they haven't tried to recruit a Canadian is because you were originally hired under the PGWPP, and include a copy of your PGWP. They do have to indicate the the job offer is "permanent." Keep a copy of the application and receipt for mailing it, because you will need proof that you applied.

http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/intstugrad.shtml

In the event that you do not receive a reply on the LMO before your current permit expires, you can apply for a new work permit within 2 weeks of the expiration of the old work permit, indicating that the LMO has been applied for and is pending.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
immicec said:
I do understand that Customer Service WILL NOT be eligible but not all titles are listed in the NOC and I've attached a letter from my employer detailing the duties of my job that requires a license to perform the duties. I have my license in several provinces across Canada.

Sorry to hear about that .... Without knowing what job duties were written in the letter, there's no way that we can compare them to the NOC, and no way we can comment on whether or not the decision was a mistake.

and the 2 types of applications got refused almost at the same time... is it coincidence? :'(
yes... coincidence... but a truly unfortunate one...

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
Yea I guess that would be the way to go, just speakng from personal experience, and those of some of my friends who've worked with the brokerages with the big banks here in Canada, they have all refused to apply for a LMO in all cases.. Rbc, td, cibc and Bmo. I don't know why theQ banks are so fussy about applying for an LMO fOr people on a PGWP

Barakuda

Apr 20, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottowa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-02-2012
AOR Received.
05-20-2012
IELTS Request
10-01-2011
Hello,

Do you have a Consultant?? you should have Immigration lawyer now. tell your story and your lawyer should file a restoration on your application.At this point you should go with the Immigration lawyer. there's only certain time for you to appeal on your case other wise done is done. Everyone deserve a second change and clarification. I do believe that there's still a chance.

I apply my application last Feb.2012 and I haven't heard anything yet on my status. I'm just concern and try to share my thoughts on you.

Good Luck and God Bless

Barakuda

immicec

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
Hi everyone,

I want to thank all of you for your help, this means a lot to me. At the same time I'm crossing fingers for all of us who got refused/waiting for approval.

I work in call centre environment, tittle is Customer Service Rep but the nature of my job I'm required to be licensed to perform my duties as we provide RESP (registered education saving plan). What I do, is basically assist to clients who have inquiries on their plans, prospective clients, make financial adjustments to their plans, explaining government incentives, and overall everything related to RESPs.

aba_bab said:
At the time, I thought the experience they refused was that of my previous employer, which i was afraid of because the title of the role and the actual job duties were very different. But when i was collecting my papers again, I was shocked to realize that my refusal was for my current job not meeting the requirements.
Aba, did you apply with your current position or previous position?? could you please tell if you sell or work in a call centre environment?
People tell me if you are asked to provide your medicals most likely is because your application will get approved if medicals are fine.

Jes_ON, thank you so much for the link, it was very useful. Any tips to get LMO approved?

Does anybody know what NOC I should be using for my job position? I didn't use Customer Service rep because it wouldn't fall under skill A or B. In the past I emailed HRSDC-Labor Market and the NOC team replied me. They clarified that Skill Level is determined by the second digit of the four-digit NOC code for all occupations except management, and refers to the amount and type of education and training usually required to enter and perform the duties of an occupation. Skill level A (second digit 1) and Skill level B (second digit 2, 3). If I use 1433 as CSR Financial Services the skill level will be C (2nd digit is 4, and 4 is skill level C). C is not eligible for CEC class, is it???

I'm sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to gather as much information I can. Thanks a lot!

immicec

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
Hi guys,
I'm doing research on NOC codes and skill levels. I think NOC number 6235 "financial services representative" applies to me. For this tittle requires certification and applies more to what I do. If I apply as Customer Service Financial Rep NOC 1433 will be rejected because it does not require any certification and is not skill level A or B.
Pls share your thoughts.
Thank you!

aba_bab

Star Member
Mar 18, 2011
immicec said:
Aba, did you apply with your current position or previous position?? could you please tell if you sell or work in a call centre environment?
People tell me if you are asked to provide your medicals most likely is because your application will get approved if medicals are fine.

Does anybody know what NOC I should be using for my job position? I didn't use Customer Service rep because it wouldn't fall under skill A or B. In the past I emailed HRSDC-Labor Market and the NOC team replied me. They clarified that Skill Level is determined by the second digit of the four-digit NOC code for all occupations except management, and refers to the amount and type of education and training usually required to enter and perform the duties of an occupation. Skill level A (second digit 1) and Skill level B (second digit 2, 3). If I use 1433 as CSR Financial Services the skill level will be C (2nd digit is 4, and 4 is skill level C). C is not eligible for CEC class, is it???
Well i had to use both jobs, previous one (9months) and current job, which seems to be ok now that i submitted a proper letter with job description etc. And yes, my current job is in a call centre environment where i have to deal with placing trades and so on. I hope my application will be fine as well!

And your above paragraph about NOC classification is absolutely correct.

Torap

Star Member
Jan 20, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2012
Doc's Request.
No
AOR Received.
15-04-2012
IELTS Request
Sent along with application
Med's Request
08-05-2012
Med's Done....
16-05-2012
Passport Req..
28-06-2012
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2012
LANDED..........
05-07-2012
immicec said:
Hi guys,

I mailed my CEC application in December 2011. I didn't even received my AoR and on April 18, 2012 I received an email from OttPilot Immigration that my CEC is refused. Here's the reason:

"Your application was assessed based on the occupation(s) which you identified as part of your skilled work experience in Canada: Registered Representative (NOC 1113).

I am not satisfied that you meet the skilled work experience requirement. The job duties contained in your letter of reference from your employer do not match the duties under NOC 1113, Securities Agents, Investment Dealers and Brokers. Furthermore, according to the same letter, your position is a Bilingual Customer Service Representative. As such, I am not satisfied that you have 12 months of full-time skilled work experience in Canada."

I don't know whether other factors have affected the refusal. I'm currently holding a post-graduate 3 years work permit that will expire in June 2012. I mailed my CEC application in Dec 2011 to Buffalo. Last month, in March I mailed my application to renew my work permit or I should say, apply for a new work permit as the post-graduate work permit isn't renewable and mailed my application to Vegreville, AB. I received a letter dated in April 12, 2012 saying that my work permit is refused and they needed a Labour Market Opinion (LMO). The wording of the letter sounds like if I was able to provide a LMO my work permit will be approved. In my head I was thinking: If I just got my work permit refused then my CEC will be refused too" and indeed, it happened.

What I'm thinking right now is, if I'm able to provide LMO I may get my work permit approved. If I have an LMO it means that my position falls under level A or B and it may lead to my approval in CEC if I appeal.

Guys, I really really need your feedback, advice, opinion on this. Like most of us, I'm doing this on my own. The fact that I didn't even received an AoR for my CEC class, and the 2 types of applications got refused almost at the same time... is it coincidence? :'( Also if I mailed my CEC application to Buffalo, why is the Case Proccessing Centre in Ottawa did my assessment???? My work permit is expiring soon and I'm very worried because I'll not have an status in Canada. I do want to have a work permit and not a tourist visa because I rely on my work experience to appeal in CEC or apply again.

Please help me! Thank you so much.

Hi immicec,

Did you receive your AOR before receiving this refusal letter (or) did CIC directly sent you this refusal letter before even sending you the AOR. Could you please clarify ?

Thanks.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
@Torap, see quote below:

immicec said:

immicec

Star Member
Oct 13, 2011
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-12-2011
Torap said:
Hi immicec,

Did you receive your AOR before receiving this refusal letter (or) did CIC directly sent you this refusal letter before even sending you the AOR. Could you please clarify ?

Thanks.
Hi Torap,
My AoR was emailed me before and then the next day I got the CEC app refused.