+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC job offer bonus points on closed IEC (YP) after open IEC (WH)

LukDey

Mar 5, 2022
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of existing entries but don't quite seem to find my specific scenario. I'm currently in the Express Entry pool.

I have been working for the same employer in Canada continuously since February 15, 2021, i.e., more than 1 year.

I started working on a Working holiday visa (open IEC), but switched to the Young Professional one (closed IEC) on January 5, 2022.

That means I have worked one year full-time with the same company and the company is shown on my currently valid and active, closed IEC (Young Professional) visa.

My current job offer states that the job offer is indefinite and if needed as per IRCC they would issue me a new offer that fulfils all of IRCC's criteria.

Do I qualify for the extra 50 bonus points for an LMIA-exempt job offer?

Everything I read on the IRCC website comes down to this one sentence which in my opinion could be interpreted in two ways:
Your employer doesn’t need an LMIA to support your job offer if:
  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
Does this mean:
1. I generally had to work full-time for the employer - that is shown on my work permit - for at least 1 year, even if part of that 1 year I was working on a different (open) visa?
OR
2. I need to work full-time for the employer that is shown on my work permit for at least 1 year on this specific closed visa? Which wouldn't even work in my case because the visa is only one year and I wouldn't be able to use it by then anymore because it would not be valid anymore.

In scenario 2 (IEC being a significant benefit to Canadian interests according to IRCC) of https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html#employment, it sounds like both points are evaluated separately and thus I could qualify for the extra 50 points.

Did anyone run into the same scenario before and has been able to get the bonus points and go through with the application and got accepted?

Thanks for your help!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all,

I've been reading a lot of existing entries but don't quite seem to find my specific scenario. I'm currently in the Express Entry pool.

I have been working for the same employer in Canada continuously since February 15, 2021, i.e., more than 1 year.

I started working on a Working holiday visa (open IEC), but switched to the Young Professional one (closed IEC) on January 5, 2022.

That means I have worked one year full-time with the same company and the company is shown on my currently valid and active, closed IEC (Young Professional) visa.

My current job offer states that the job offer is indefinite and if needed as per IRCC they would issue me a new offer that fulfils all of IRCC's criteria.

Everything I read on the IRCC website comes down to this one sentence which in my opinion could be interpreted in two ways:
  1. you have been working full-time for the employer on your work permit for at least 1 year (or an equal amount of part-time work)
Does this mean:
1. I generally had to work full-time for the employer - that is shown on my work permit - for at least 1 year, even if part of that 1 year I was working on a different (open) visa?
OR
2. I need to work full-time for the employer that is shown on my work permit for at least 1 year on this specific closed visa? Which wouldn't even work in my case because the visa is only one year and I wouldn't be able to use it by then anymore because it would not be valid anymore.

In scenario 2 (IEC being a significant benefit to Canadian interests according to IRCC) of https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/eligibility/federal-skilled-workers/six-selection-factors-federal-skilled-workers.html#employment, it sounds like both points are evaluated separately and thus I could qualify for the extra 50 points.

Did anyone run into the same scenario before and has been able to get the bonus points and go through with the application and got accepted?

Thanks for your help!
There have been a couple of previous threads on this in the past few years. Most people think it's #2 (i.e. you need to work on the employer specific work permit for a full year before you can claim the points). But the answer it's 100% clear. I know there were one or two people here who were going to try to claim the points to see if it would work out. I don't remember hearing if in fact they were successful (i.e. I don't think they came back and told us what happened).

One thing to keep in mind is that to claim the 50 points, your employer is also going to have to provide a letter stating they will continue to employ you for at least one year after you become a PR. Are they good to do this? You need that letter.

Of course the other question is when CEC draws are going to restart. Some people here don't think that will happen until next year in which case your question will be moot.

aaasio

Feb 28, 2023
Hi all,

Does this mean:
OR

Thanks for your help!
Hi LukDey,

I'm in a similar situation, wondering if my ongoing job offer would qualify for the 50 bonus points if I had a IEC Young Professional visa (closed).

Could you tell me how your experience went?

Thx