+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC application time

LemonLimePie

Aug 31, 2014
Hi all!

I'm currently in Canada on a Working Holiday (international experience) Visa (which includes a work permit) and coming towards the end of my first year. The visa ends mid september, however, in July I started work in a position that would qualify me for the Canadian experience class PR under the appropriate NOC skill categories.

I have a second international experience visa which I'll activate when my older visa runs out around the 15th of september. So this means the new visa that I activate will expire around september 2015. I'll have fulfilled the 1 year requirements under the NOC requirements for CEC around July 2015.

So I think you can see what I'm getting at now: I'll have (in theory) roughly 2 months to apply for Canadian experience class before my visa/work permit runs out. My question is, is it possible to complete and confirm a CEC VISA application in that 2 month window? I assume its at least highly unlikely, so is there anything I can do to improve my odds, or any loopholes I can take to start my application earlier.

One such thing that occurred to me: The year of work required under CEC program assumes a 35 hour work week. As I work 40 hours a week would that qualify me sooner?

I really do not want to leave the country, and have as little a gap as possible between my VISA expiring and getting CEC approval as I'd rather not damage my job prospects at the company I work for. Any advice would be really appreciated. I cant even apply earlier through the Skilled worker visas program as this is the first job I've had that fufills the NOC requirements, and as far as I'm aware the skilled workers program still requires at minimum a years experience in a professional occupation.

For the record: I'm a British Citizen and I also own Property in Toronto. Not sure if this has bearing on my immigration application, but I know it does for declaring myself as a resident on tax purposes.

Cheers in advance!

TheAwesomeMatt

Star Member
Jun 26, 2013
Victoria, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-02-2013
AOR Received.
08-21-2013
Med's Request
02-18-2014
Med's Done....
03-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
03-21-2014
LANDED..........
04-06-2014
You need at least one full calendar year if full time work, so number of hours won't matter and it's 100% impossible that you'd get it all done in two months.

Most people applying for CEC PR are also putting in Bridging Open Work Permit after receiving notice that they're had their application pass the initial stage.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry too much right now, just keep your eyes open for news on Express Entry and how this might affect CEC, and then begin your PR planning in early 2015.

(also it might be worth looking at PNP, but I'm not familiar with Ontario's program).

LemonLimePie

Aug 31, 2014
Thanks for the feedback! Very Helpful. I'll look in to those options. Hopefully express entry ties in with my completing the necessary year for CEC!

How long does an application take to pass the initial stage? And what's the time frame on getting that bridging Open Work Permit?

maniac2403

Champion Member
Mar 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-11-2013
Doc's Request.
29-05-2014
AOR Received.
27-12-2013
IELTS Request
Provided with application
File Transfer...
04-06-2014 (ECAS In Process)
Med's Request
10-06-2014
Med's Done....
11-06-2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
20-06-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-06-2014 (Visa stamp) 9-07-2014 (Passport Received)
LANDED..........
10-07-2014
LemonLimePie said:
Thanks for the feedback! Very Helpful. I'll look in to those options. Hopefully express entry ties in with my completing the necessary year for CEC!

How long does an application take to pass the initial stage? And what's the time frame on getting that bridging Open Work Permit?
Initial application stage is the application verification for documents, meeting the eligibility set for the program etc. This normally takes around 4-6 weeks, and one gets your AOR. Anytime after getting your AOR and within 4 months of your current WP expiration, you can apply for BOWP.

chellesii76

Star Member
Dec 24, 2009
Hello! Please help. Just want to know when is the deadline for CEC application. I am about to mail my application next week. Thank you!