+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC application: Generic Application Form questions I'm uncertain about

da1jonty

Feb 11, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've tried doing a few keyword searches on the forums here, and I can't seem to find any sticky threads or relevant threads, that would help me clarify the next things I should expect and/or actions to perform, in order to get a CEC application done in an optimal and efficient manner.

So I write this now, in the hope that someone here can help me out, by detailing some kind of step-by-step "timeline" of what needs to be done or things to expect, or choices to make. I would greatly appreciate any and all advice in regards to my situation.

Here's a bullet point summary of my situation:

• I'm an Australian citizen, I'm currently in Vancouver Canada with a visitor status (6 months from late April 2013 to late October 2013), after having previously lived and worked in Vancouver whilst on an IEC WHP visa that finished in mid April 2013
  • I am eligible to apply for CEC Permanent Residency application due to my 13 months of work experience; I have downloaded the application kit, and have also obtained relevant supporting documents as per the Document Checklist (travel documents, work experience documents, police certificates, identity documents, IELTS language results)
  • I have completed every form electronically, except for a few fields (signatures, some questions)
  • I have not booked flights back to Australia, as I wish to travel for several months, most likely South America from October onwards

My questions are as follows:

1) [Generic Application Form - Application Details Q4] From what I have understood from the Application Guide and the Document Checklist, I should write down "Sydney, Australia" as the Immigration Office requested for processing this application. Is this the correct choice, to ensure an optimal processing of the application?

2) [Generic Application Form - Application Details Q10] Current Country of Residence - should I list this as 'Australia' and leave ToDate as 'blank' or 'N/A', as I am still an Australian citizen? Does having lived in Vancouver Canada for 15 months (Jan 2012 - Apr 2013), and/or my currently situated in Vancouver as a visitor (staying on friend's couches), have any bearing on this?

3) [Generic Application Form - Contact Information] Although I had lived in Vancouver for 15 months under my IEC WHP, that visa expired mid April. I'm currently staying in Vancouver with a visitor status. Should I specify a friend's Vancouver address for 'Current Mailing Address' and list Immigration Office as Central Processing Pilot-Ottawa (CPP-O)? Or should I list my Australian mailing address as both the Current Mailing Address and Residential Address?

4) Related to the above is the notion that I'm not intending to fly back to Australia yet - rather, I'm interested in backpacking and travelling the next several months in Canada, USA, and Latin America. So would it make sense for me to find a reliable friend in Vancouver Canada and use their address as 'Current Mailing Address' and use CPP-O as the Immigration Office?

5) Depending on how I fill out the questions posed above, should I anticipate a need to physically travel back to Australia to pickup/retrieve mailed correspondence (e.g. my Australian residential address, or the Sydney Australia immigration office)? Or I can be confident of simply mailing my application off to the CIO (Sydney, Nova Scotia) and keep travelling for the weeks and months ahead, ask my family to send me any received mail correspondence from Australia to wherever I am, and to also keep an eye on my email in regards to Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) and other e-mailed correspondences?

Thanks in advance!

cecapp369

Star Member
Dec 16, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-05-2012
Doc's Request.
18-01-2013
AOR Received.
28-08-2012
IELTS Request
sent with app
Med's Request
23-04-2013
Med's Done....
30-04-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
14-08-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-09-2013
LANDED..........
22-09-2013
1) [Generic Application Form - Application Details Q4] From what I have understood from the Application Guide and the Document Checklist, I should write down "Sydney, Australia" as the Immigration Office requested for processing this application. Is this the correct choice, to ensure an optimal processing of the application?

---- No, you have to select CPP-Ottawa / CPP-O.

2) [Generic Application Form - Application Details Q10] Current Country of Residence - should I list this as 'Australia' and leave ToDate as 'blank' or 'N/A', as I am still an Australian citizen? Does having lived in Vancouver Canada for 15 months (Jan 2012 - Apr 2013), and/or my currently situated in Vancouver as a visitor (staying on friend's couches), have any bearing on this?

You have to mention Canada as your current country of residence and your status should be Visitor.

3) [Generic Application Form - Contact Information] Although I had lived in Vancouver for 15 months under my IEC WHP, that visa expired mid April. I'm currently staying in Vancouver with a visitor status. Should I specify a friend's Vancouver address for 'Current Mailing Address' and list Immigration Office as Central Processing Pilot-Ottawa (CPP-O)? Or should I list my Australian mailing address as both the Current Mailing Address and Residential Address?
Any address is OK for communication as long as you are in a position to receive the communication sent by CIC.
You can provide your frnd's mailing address as your address for communication or even your Austrailian address.

4) Related to the above is the notion that I'm not intending to fly back to Australia yet - rather, I'm interested in backpacking and travelling the next several months in Canada, USA, and Latin America. So would it make sense for me to find a reliable friend in Vancouver Canada and use their address as 'Current Mailing Address' and use CPP-O as the Immigration Office?

First part of the question left to your sole descretion. If you have a reliable friend who can receive your communication and pass to you, yes, provide his/her address.
Second part ... yes, you HAVE to provide CPP-O as your processing visa office.

5) Depending on how I fill out the questions posed above, should I anticipate a need to physically travel back to Australia to pickup/retrieve mailed correspondence (e.g. my Australian residential address, or the Sydney Australia immigration office)? Or I can be confident of simply mailing my application off to the CIO (Sydney, Nova Scotia) and keep travelling for the weeks and months ahead, ask my family to send me any received mail correspondence from Australia to wherever I am, and to also keep an eye on my email in regards to Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR) and other e-mailed correspondences?

Usually CIC communicates with you electronically in most of the cases. Below are the exceptions.
1. If your application is incomplete, they will send the file back to you.
2. and at last, once your passports are stamped, they will send them to the address you mentioned.

In rest all cases, they will communicate with you electronically. (99.99%)

Hope I answered all your questions.

da1jonty

Feb 11, 2013
Thanks cecapp369 for the detailed response, muchly appreciated - I have filled out my Generic Application form accordingly.