+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CEC AND POST GRADUATION WORK PERMIT ISSUE

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
Hello All,

My Post Graduation work permit expires in June 2023.

I still lack three months of experience to qualify for CEC.

What is the best route I can take to get an extension for three to four months to apply for Express Entry under CEC?

Thank you,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello All,

My Post Graduation work permit expires in June 2023.

I still lack three months of experience to qualify for CEC.

What is the best route I can take to get an extension for three to four months to apply for Express Entry under CEC?

Thank you,
Get your employer to file for a LMIA, and then you apply for a closed work permit with LMIA. Employer will have to post the job to prove no Canadian or PR could be hired, pay $1k and fill out the paperwork so talk to your employer now if willing to start the process.

That is the only way to get 3 more months of Canadian experience for CEC.

Look at PNP programs too.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
You could also apply for PNP in the province you are in. Once the job is NOC B or higher you should qualify. Get the nomination and apply to the federal government.

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
Hi All,

Thanks for response

How about I get a study permit, and my course starts in Sept 2023 (According to the new policy, students are allowed to work full time until 31 Dec.2023), and then I can apply under CEC?

Please share your thoughts and any opinion.

Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi All,

Thanks for response

How about I get a study permit, and my course starts in Sept 2023 (According to the new policy, students are allowed to work full time until 31 Dec.2023), and then I can apply under CEC?

Please share your thoughts and any opinion.

Thank you
How would you be eligible for CEC as you cannot count Canadian experience while on a study permit? Also the new policy for working full time only applies to those who submitted study applications before October 7 2022.

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
How would you be eligible for CEC as you cannot count Canadian experience while on a study permit? Also the new policy for working full time only applies to those who submitted study applications before October 7 2022.
Yes correct I was not aware so I was asking ..

If i get admission in university/college and my program starts in dec. 2023 can I work full time... until dec 2023 .... do u think tht might help ?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

If i get admission in university/college and my program starts in dec. 2023 can I work full time... until dec 2023 .... do u think tht might help ?
But if your PGWP expires in June then you must stop working. You cannot start working on your study permit until you begin school in December.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
None of the work experience on a study permit count towards CEC. That idea will not work. You need to do more research on other streams to PR. at this point, PNP may be your only option because you will not get another work permit after that second study permit.

Last edited:

PaulAbhik23121989

Star Member
Sep 19, 2017
Ottawa, ON, Canada
Category........
CEC

You PGWP expires in June 2023 and if you start studying in December 2023...that's like a gap of 6 months and you cannot start working on your study permit that earlier and even if you do, it won't count towards CEC. You don't want to be misrepresented on your CEC application.

Plus, you won't be able to apply or be eligible for PGWP again, its one time opportunity. You should be aware of PGWP policy. Try to see if you can extend your PGWP which could give you some time (implied status and that you may continue working) otherwise look for other streams like PNP.

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
You PGWP expires in June 2023 and if you start studying in December 2023...that's like a gap of 6 months and you cannot start working on your study permit that earlier and even if you do, it won't count towards CEC. You don't want to be misrepresented on your CEC application.

Plus, you won't be able to apply or be eligible for PGWP again, its one time opportunity. You should be aware of PGWP policy. Try to see if you can extend your PGWP which could give you some time (implied status and that you may continue working) otherwise look for other streams like PNP.
Hello there,

One more question Post Graduation TRV is valid until my passport expires.

After June 2023, If I go to India will I be able to travel back as a visitor from India as TRV is until the expiry of my passport

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hello there,

After June 2023, If I go to India will I be able to travel back as a visitor from India as TRV is until the expiry of my passport
Yes you can travel as a visitor to Canada. The border agent will require a reason for the visit and proof of funding to support your stay. Visitors are typically given 6 months if they can show financial support and a valid reason to stay that long. During that time YOU CAN NOT WORK. If you want to work then you will need to apply for a work permit and not allowed to start working until the permit is approved.

Chasechs

Sep 11, 2019
Hello there,

I was going through your previous threads. How long have you been applying for PR?

Vishal100

Star Member
Jun 7, 2016
I was going through your previous threads. How long have you been applying for PR?
I am planning to apply after I complete one year of Canadian Work Experience. My PGWP Expire in June 2023, and I will be short three months to get qualified for CEC.

I need some sort of extension for at least three months.

Thank you,