+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Carrying money back to India after landing

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

I am planning to land Canada on 16th November and after completing landing formailities, I am planning to start back for India on 22nd November and plans to return back after 8-10 months (tentative, not yet finalized).

As a POF i am planning to carry around 21,000 CAD$ (Total 4 family members) and planning to bring back the same money to India with me on 22nd November.

Do I need to declare again at Immigration (in Canada) for taking this money back (Approx 20,000 CAD$) to India ?

And also, do I need to do any more formalities at Immigration in Canada ?

Please advise.

jimmy_kallarackal

Star Member
Apr 26, 2011
India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sept 29 2010
Med's Request
March-16-2011
Med's Done....
April-18-2011
Passport Req..
18-May-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-June-2011
LANDED..........
27-Oct-2011
I dont think it should be an issue.. as i am currently in canada and moving back on 4thnov today to india with all currency.. Just keep the proof of your conversion bills that you get from india and declare whatever is at the airport.. I will update you once i reach back in india after two days..

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That would be really great.

I would be waiting for your response.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

can_2010 said:
That would be really great.

I would be waiting for your response.
You need to report to CBSA when you are leaving that you have in excess of $10K, unless you want to have the funds seized or pay a fine. There is no taxes or duties, but amounts of $10K or more must be reported on entry and exit from Canada.

S

shibuya

Hi PMM Sir,
On exit one does not encounter the CBSA officials nor do they put any exit on the passports. It is a plain walk through to the depature gate and only in one place the hand baggage is put under scanner but no questions asked.
So how and to whom will one declare the returning funds.?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shibuya said:
Hi PMM Sir,
On exit one does not encounter the CBSA officials nor do they put any exit on the passports. It is a plain walk through to the depature gate and only in one place the hand baggage is put under scanner but no questions asked.
So how and to whom will one declare the returning funds.?
You go to the CBSA office, you will see signs all through the departure area about reporting funds.

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Just a quick question. As you will be landed just sometime back, would it not show the intent of not moving to Canada, and delay the PR card issuing etc ???

Also would it not arouse suspicion that the Money you used as a Proof of Funds on entry, was not yours??

JUNER2011

Oct 5, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2011
AOR Received.
August 2011 PER / 2nd AOR : September 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
September 2011
Med's Request
January 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
Interview........
got waived :-)
Passport Req..
January 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 2012
LANDED..........
June 2012
devilhimselff said:
Just a quick question. As you will be landed just sometime back, would it not show the intent of not moving to Canada, and delay the PR card issuing etc ???

Also would it not arouse suspicion that the Money you used as a Proof of Funds on entry, was not yours??
I must say that devil and me have the same mindset as I was about to ask the same thing !!
Regards,
JUNER 2011

harryy

Feb 10, 2009
devilhimselff said:

Definitely, if it came to CIC's notice they will come out with stricter rules...

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
devilhimselff said:
I do not know but my consultant said there is no problem as such, but they were recommending me to stay there for atleast 6 weeks to get PR Card, but since my personal situation does not permit me, so I can not.

As far as my case goes, due to some person reasons, I can not move permanently to Canada as of now. But i do intent to move permanently some time later (probably 6 to 8 months), but if they dont process my PR Card, then how will I enter Canada next time ? Is there any rules/guidelines that you know or have come across that says something as what you are saying ?
Also, Requesting you to share, if you have heard or came across any case, where they have delayed the PR Card issuing or the landing formalities or have issue with people, who are returning back so quickly ?

devilhimselff said:
For this, I am making the DD for POF from my account and when application was in process, I had given POF also at that time. But, what will I do with my money in Canada, if I am not staying there as of now. The next time, when I come, I will bring it again. Do you think, will this reasoning make any sense to Immigration authorities ??

JUNER2011

Oct 5, 2011
New Delhi
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 2011
AOR Received.
August 2011 PER / 2nd AOR : September 2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Application 7.5 Band
File Transfer...
September 2011
Med's Request
January 2012
Med's Done....
January 2012
Interview........
got waived :-)
Passport Req..
January 2012
VISA ISSUED...
May 2012
LANDED..........
June 2012
Your reply makes sense can_2010, but the problem lies in convincing the immigration authority and I wonder what is the way to do that??
How about the idea of opening a canadian bank account from here or after reaching there and then leave a small amount in it (if not all) before you start back for India ?
Check with Scotia bank, they will provide you with useful info on that..
Also when u get in touch with them, discuss the possibility of leaving some money prior to your return. Tell us also what they say regarding that...only problem I sense is that the account should not get dormant and non operational (and invite non maintenance/usage charges etc.) when u are back home for 8-10 months or so..Immigration authorities will also be thus satisfied after seeing your canadian account and they will be sure of your intention to move back to canada later on...what say??
Regards,
JUNER 2011

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
If you will come back and have more than 10,000$ you will again have to declare it to the Immi Officers....You have already landed (previously)...SO how it goes then, I dont know, will you be taxed?

Agents are schmucks, dont rely on their advice, they couldnt care less if you get in trouble once their finances have been cleared.

Above advice is good. Open an account in Canada, leave money there, and move across less than ten thousand.

can_2010

Apr 26, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Carrying POF money back to India after landing

JUNER2011 said:
Your reply makes sense can_2010, but the problem lies in convincing the immigration authority and I wonder what is the way to do that??
..Immigration authorities will also be thus satisfied after seeing your canadian account and they will be sure of your intention to move back to canada later on...what say??
Regards,
JUNER 2011
Juner 2011,

I understand your point that immgiration authority needs to be convinced about my immigration, Visa is just not enough. But I dont know, what can i do about it? I dont think, I am left with much option/time for opening the account also with Scotia bank as I am starting on 16th November and my visa is expiring on 20th November (I will still try tomorrow).

Worst case, lets say, even if Immgritation authorities do not get convinced, what maximum can they do about it (for coming to Canada for such a short trip of 5 days, just to complete landing formalities and taking back POF/more than CAD 10,000 out of country to home country) ?? Are they not going to let me land/enter in Canada ?? Can they revoke/cancel my PR Visa ?? Or delay my PR Card processing ?? Or Ask me to pay tax for taking the money out of country (since it is more than CAD 10,000) ??

devilhimselff

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2005
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Yep...
Dude you are making things difficult and complicated for yourself. IT is your choice.

Something makes me beleive that the Funds are not yours, sorry but that is what I am picking up from your posts.

Anyways, none of us are lawyers or Immigration officers, we can offer advice upto some level. If you want, you can discuss it with a Lawyer, when you are in Canada.

Best of luck bro.