+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Capital Gains & Inheritance

msMisery

Nov 11, 2023
My Uncle died in Canada - Nova Scotia and left me a house & I live in the USA. It took me 2 years after his death to sell the house. He lived in the house until his death, after that no one lived in it. The house was empty the entire time . it was not rented or anything. I had to spend a lot of money to upgrade the house to sell it as well as pay to maintain the grounds, pay electricity, heat etc over the two years before it sold. I now have to file a Capital Gains document . I know there was no Capital Gains & I was told that I have to submit a record of all the expenses I incurred to sell the house. Since I spent money did not "gain" money. When I submit the records of expenditures do I also have to send each and every receipt as well. I have many receipts...some small some large. Or do I have to just submit a written list of the expenses? Plse let me know.
Thank you

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
My Uncle died in Canada - Nova Scotia and left me a house & I live in the USA. It took me 2 years after his death to sell the house. He lived in the house until his death, after that no one lived in it. The house was empty the entire time . it was not rented or anything. I had to spend a lot of money to upgrade the house to sell it as well as pay to maintain the grounds, pay electricity, heat etc over the two years before it sold. I now have to file a Capital Gains document . I know there was no Capital Gains & I was told that I have to submit a record of all the expenses I incurred to sell the house. Since I spent money did not "gain" money. When I submit the records of expenditures do I also have to send each and every receipt as well. I have many receipts...some small some large. Or do I have to just submit a written list of the expenses? Plse let me know.
Thank you
This is not an immigration issue so you need the advice of a tax/inheritance accountant.