+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can't get SIN# due to expired PR card

eliyana

Jan 25, 2024
I have been checking online re this situation and have not found any solution. I have an expired PR card but could not renew at this point as I haven't fulfilled my residency. However I never got a SIN# nor a health card back when I landed. So now when I went to Service Canada (2 locations already) they declined because my PR card and COPR expired a long time. But immigration lawyers I consulted said their clients in similar situation always get their SIN#. I don't know if anyone has any positive experience or can provide any insights. For those who were not able to get their SIN#, what did you do? Just stay here till you can renew your PR card after 2 years and not work?

Does it help to try different Service Canada locations? Or even in other provinces, e.g. Alberta? I read somewhere that someone was able to get a SIN# via mail option... anyone in similar situation had a positive outcome?

Thank you.

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
I have been checking online re this situation and have not found any solution. I have an expired PR card but could not renew at this point as I haven't fulfilled my residency. However I never got a SIN# nor a health card back when I landed. So now when I went to Service Canada (2 locations already) they declined because my PR card and COPR expired a long time. But immigration lawyers I consulted said their clients in similar situation always get their SIN#. I don't know if anyone has any positive experience or can provide any insights. For those who were not able to get their SIN#, what did you do? Just stay here till you can renew your PR card after 2 years and not work?

Does it help to try different Service Canada locations? Or even in other provinces, e.g. Alberta? I read somewhere that someone was able to get a SIN# via mail option... anyone in similar situation had a positive outcome?

Thank you.
So much went wrong and you can only blame yourself for it. Why did you not do the basics when you came to Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Thank you.
I am surprised to hear that lawyers are saying that clients have been easily been able to get a SIN#. They have potentially misunderstood and thought you meant been able to use SIN# the previously obtained and number wasn’t on hold. Most do not leave Canada without obtaining a SIN# first and rules are pretty clear that you are not able to use your landing documents as proof of PR to get SIN# after the first anniversary of your landing. There is no option but to wait until you get a valid PR card to get your SIN# and health card unless you want to try and sue the government to try and obtain a SIN# and health card. When you don’t meet RO there can be some serious consequences even if you get lucky and are not reported on entry.