+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cannot entering Canada if SP is approved for students in the US?

Eugene Fama

Aug 28, 2020
Hi,

I was checking the traveling guide given by UBC (https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada/check-eligible)

It says in Part 1 Have valid document

"If you are a current student who applied for a study permit from outside of Canada, and your study permit approval, or Letter of Introduction, was issued after March 18, 2020, you cannot travel to Canada at this time."
I am not sure whether it also applies to the students flying directly from the U.S..

Does it mean that those students in the U.S. who are non-us citizens cannot enter Canada even though they get study permit approval after March 18?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

renron

Star Member
Jul 28, 2020
Hi,

I was checking the traveling guide given by UBC (https://students.ubc.ca/new-to-ubc/travelling-to-canada/check-eligible)

It says in Part 1 Have valid document

I am not sure whether it also applies to the students flying directly from the U.S..

Does it mean that those students in the U.S. who are non-us citizens cannot enter Canada even though they get study permit approval after March 18?
There are only 2 requirements for travelers coming from US:

All other foreign nationals
To be eligible, you must meet 2 requirements:

• You must be travelling for an essential (non-discretionary) purpose.
  • You must be travelling directly from the US

HopelessBR

Star Member
Mar 18, 2020
Brazil
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
if your classes are in-person and you come from the US, then you are exempted from travel restrictions. That rule of study permit approval issued before 18 march 2020 is only required for people who won't travel from the US. If you come from the US to Canada, it doesn't matter if you are a US citizen or not. Just make sure that you can prove to border officers that you need to be in Canada for in-person classes. You can talk to your university about it.

Jae9

Aug 22, 2020
If the semester starts in September, but one receives the SP final approval at a later time, say Oct or Nov, can this student still travel from US to Canada? Does traveling in the middle of a semester imply that this trip is non-essential?

HopelessBR

Star Member
Mar 18, 2020
Brazil
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Sao Paulo
If the semester starts in September, but one receives the SP final approval at a later time, say Oct or Nov, can this student still travel from US to Canada? Does traveling in the middle of a semester imply that this trip is non-essential?
if you start online classes, you will actually comply and prove that you are able to keep studying that way for the whole semester. So, based on current travel restrictions, I don't think the border officer would grant permission to enter Canada unless you can prove that your presence is adamant for college classes at the end of the semester.

Jae9

Aug 22, 2020
if you start online classes, you will actually comply and prove that you are able to keep studying that way for the whole semester. So, based on current travel restrictions, I don't think the border officer would grant permission to enter Canada unless you can prove that your presence is adamant for college classes at the end of the semester.
Thanks for your insight!!
The classes provided at my school are in-person classes, but since school is expecting international students cannot attend in campus, so they provided synchronized online access as well. Not sure if that would increase the chance of entering Canada...

Reactions: HopelessBR