+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Cancel Application

thewitt999

Aug 27, 2008
Hi guys,

You have been very helpful in the past but I hope you can help me out in this last request. I applied for a skilled permanent resident visa about 3 years ago. I have now been asked to update my information as they will be processing my file soon. That was sent at the end of June and it said I had 90 days to do so. I now want to cancel the application as other things have happened in my life since that time.

I am under the impression that I can get a refund of my application fee as my file has not yet started to be processed. Can someone confirm if this is correct. Also, I sent a fax in about 2 weeks ago to the number 020 72586506. I have resent the same fax 4 days ago. I have heard nothing back.

How do I make sure my application has been cancelled and my refund is going to go through. I cant even find a contact number for the high commission in London. The date is fast approaching that my file will be processed and therefore ineligable to receive a refund

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks you

Tim

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There are 2 main fees, processing fee and right of landing fee. The processing fee is $550 and it not refundable. The right of landing fee is $490 and is refundable if you cancel before a certain point of your application anyway but it's a question if you paid that already since it's not required until you are approved.

thewitt999

Aug 27, 2008
thanks for the reply but are you sure you are right. As they havent yet started to process my file yet I am under the impression that the refund should be available.

see other posts:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t10134.0.html;msg34683#msg34683

and main site

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/immigrate/skilled/skilled-faq12.asp

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am not sure but at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-how-regular.asp#step5 it says:

5. Calculate your fees.
You will have to pay the following fees:

The processing fee for you and your dependants who will accompany you to Canada must be submitted when you apply. It is not refundable, even if your application is not approved.
Wait until your application is processed to pay the Right of Permanent Residence fee for you and your accompanying spouse or common-law partner, if applicable. It must be paid before Citizenship and Immigration Canada issues your permanent resident visa. This fee is refundable if you cancel your application, if your application is not approved or if you do not use your visa.

So from that I would assume that the processing fee is not refundable but right of landing fee is. The one you found says:

Simplified application process
Will my processing fees be refunded if I decide to withdraw my application?

Yes. If you contact the visa office before they contact you (that is, before the assessment of your application begins), your fees will be refunded.

So now it depends on their definition of when assessment began. You say they have already contacted you to update your documents so maybe they consider it already started. Can't hurt to try though.

The message you found on this board says that this person got a letter not asking for updating documents but basically offering refund if she wanted to cancel and saying that if they got to the point of asking for updated documents, that she would not get her processing fee back. I don't know which letter you got. Did you get the same letter that she got?

You can find the contact info for the London visa office at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/offices/missions/london.asp

nona alawaal

Aug 25, 2008
thewitt999 said:
Hi guys,

You have been very helpful in the past but I hope you can help me out in this last request. I applied for a skilled permanent resident visa about 3 years ago. I have now been asked to update my information as they will be processing my file soon. That was sent at the end of June and it said I had 90 days to do so. I now want to cancel the application as other things have happened in my life since that time.

I am under the impression that I can get a refund of my application fee as my file has not yet started to be processed. Can someone confirm if this is correct. Also, I sent a fax in about 2 weeks ago to the number 020 72586506. I have resent the same fax 4 days ago. I have heard nothing back.

How do I make sure my application has been cancelled and my refund is going to go through. I cant even find a contact number for the high commission in London. The date is fast approaching that my file will be processed and therefore ineligable to receive a refund

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks you

Tim
well ...
i have another point of view
see this link
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/laws-policy/irpa-faq-you06.asp
so if ur application is not processed yet , so u can have ur fees back
thanks

thewitt999

Aug 27, 2008
It says in my letter that they will start processing around three months from the date of the letter (end of June). Thats why I wanted to cancel it now before the end of September. I cant get speaking to anyone though and I have sent a fax in dated the start of September. I just hope they have added it to my file

I want to cancel it as my circumstances have changed. It would be a waste of time and money to continue on. Especially as they would require me to have medicals etc, pay another fee (if accepted) and then get a flight to validate my visa

I'm living in Australia now (dont ask) so thats why I would like to cancel and get a refund

does anyone have any ideas how I can speak to anyone or will they send me a mail confirming they have recieved my request.

Thanks guys