+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian work experience - teacher with paid vacations

antti

Aug 1, 2023
Hello,

I'm applying for the Canadian PR through the 'Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents'
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/hong-kong-residents-permanent-residence.html. Stream B of this public policy, states that one need to have 1 year ft work experience in Canada, no requirement on the job title.

I work as a teacher since Oct 19 2022. On Oct 18 2023, I will accumulate 1560 hours. Now I have a question, which is not usually discussed - how it works for a teacher?
I work as a teacher - every year, I have 43 working weeks, and 9 weeks paid vacation. For all the paid vacation, I'm paid the same way - same payroll, same deduction, rendered the same way on the T4, and my contract/employment letter doesn't say anything about the vacation - because it is a norm for us teachers to get paid as usual over March/Summer/December break.

I know CEC-EE is a different pathway than the Hong Kong humanitarian pathway - but in terms of work experience calculating, it is similar, as the wordings are very similar when describing work experience requirement.

I'm paid semi-monthly, and I receive my Oct 15-31 payroll on the 31 Oct. Ideally, I shall apply on 31 Oct, but considering the vacation, do I delay my submission?

I found it's quite ambiguous with the official guideline, which says, '

How to meet the hours of work requirement
To be eligible for this stream, you must have worked in Canada for at least 12 months full-time, or an equal amount of part-time hours (at least 1,560 hours in total) in the 3 years before you apply.

You must have been allowed to work legally in Canada for these hours to count. This means you either had a valid work permit, or you were exempt from needing a work permit.

You can’t include any hours of work that you spent

• as a full-time student
  • self-employed
  • working outside Canada
  • on leave from your job (medical, parental or similar)
  • on an extended absence outside Canada
  • unemployed'
Without giving any details about vacation.

For us teachers, having vacation paid is a universally applicable rule. We work extra hard during the school year - so we get the same salary over the summer.

[Sorry if this may seem irrelevant to economic pathway, but there is very few Hong Kong pathway people who work as teacher in Canada. I appreciate any insights from the CEC perspective]

novemberrain

Sep 6, 2022
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Kitchener
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
9-11-2022
AOR Received.
10-11-2022
This is a good and interesting question/ scenario! If I were you, I would spend an hour consulting with an RCIC to get a clear explanation on this. Best of luck to you!

antti

Aug 1, 2023
Some extra info

It is a permanent full time job. My employment agreement stands from 19.oct.2022 until forever. On the contract, it states 40hr per week, without referring specifically to the vacation. On the payroll, I am paid the same salary per week for 30 hours+/week over all the teacher vacations.