+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canadian wants costa rican girlfriend to move to canada

pascalito

Jan 13, 2018
Dear All

Firstly, hello and thanks for taking the time to read. I've had a look through most of the forum but have come up a little short in my searches, mainly due to out dated info and some contradictions to what I'm seeing on the Canadian Consulate website.

My girlfriend and i are looking into living together in BC. we are not married and have never lived together for other then small periods of time in the last 6 months.she has a multi entry tourist visa for canada

Now from reading other posts i understand that it will be easier if we get married and that is our plan.

so first of all, marry in Canada or Costa Rica?

i guess first step after is to apply for her permanent resident.shall we do it from CR or Canada?

while they are processing her permanent resident application can she come here on her tourist visa to visit and work?

how long does it usually take for the permanent residency application to be processed and granted so she can move here and work?

Thanks everyone!!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
It doesn't matter if you get married in Canada or Costa Rica.

You can sponsor her for PR both from inside (inland) or outside (outland) of Canada. To sponsor her inland, she must be physically in Canada. To come to Canada, she requires a TRV (tourist visa) which can be difficult to obtain if you have a Canadian spouse and CIC has concerns you plan to remain in Canada long term. However she can certainly apply. If she is able to get an approved TRV, she can travel to Canada and you can sponsor her inland. You can then include an open work permit with the inland application and can expect the work permit to be approved in approximately four months - which will then enable her to work while she waits for PR to be approved.

If the TRV is refused, you will have to sponsor her outland while she remains in Costa Rica. She will only be able to move to Canada once PR is approved. Processing will likely take around a year. Note that no open work permit is granted with the outland process.

If you have further questions, post them to the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.

pascalito

Jan 13, 2018
thanks scylla

she already has the TRV , so she could come here for a visit and we could get married, how long to get the documentation that prooves that we are married so we can submit the PR and work permit application?

MERCI!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
thanks scylla

she already has the TRV , so she could come here for a visit and we could get married, how long to get the documentation that prooves that we are married so we can submit the PR and work permit application?

MERCI!
Details here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children.html

Recommend you read through the guide in detail and also spend time reading through discussions in the Family Sponsorship section of the forum.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
thanks scylla

MERCI!
At a minimum you would need to wait for your marriage certificate to arrive after you get married. Not sure how long this takes in BC, you can call them to ask.

There is more to the PR app then just the marriage certificate. You need to also submit evidence of a genuine relationship and that marriage was not done solely for immigration purposes. So things like shared finances, joint insurance, how you communicated long distance, trips taken together, photos together meeting each others friend/family, showing friends/family attended your wedding, etc etc. This will all take time to collect and organize.