+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Universities IELTS Requirement

Muhammad Saad Jawed

Oct 24, 2019
I have an IELTS of 6.5 with minimum 5.5 in R. However, I do meet the minimum IELTS requirement by the universities I have targeted like Alberta, Waterloo, Ottawa etc for M.Eng in ECE.

Should I reappear for IELTS? or just meeting the minimum requirement is enough to pass the IELTS column of application?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I have an IELTS of 6.5 with minimum 5.5 in R. However, I do meet the minimum IELTS requirement by the universities I have targeted like Alberta, Waterloo, Ottawa etc for M.Eng in ECE.

Should I reappear for IELTS? or just meeting the minimum requirement is enough to pass the IELTS column of application?
1. You probably should re-appear.
2. Your score won't get you into Waterloo
IELTS Academic - International English Language Testing System 6.5 overall
6.5 writing, 6.5 speaking, 6.0 reading, 6.0 listening

eept

Star Member
Oct 28, 2019
Hi!
Like PMM mentioned, your scores do not meet the language requirements for Waterloo. It may qualify for other institutions though - you just have to make sure that there are no specific requirements for each section. Most of them, they have specific ones for writing part.

But, to answer your question, generally, you just have to meet the minimum requirements for Language part. Your GPA, and recommendation letters would matter more.
Good luck!

Muhammad Saad Jawed

Oct 24, 2019
Hi!
Like PMM mentioned, your scores do not meet the language requirements for Waterloo. It may qualify for other institutions though - you just have to make sure that there are no specific requirements for each section. Most of them, they have specific ones for writing part.

But, to answer your question, generally, you just have to meet the minimum requirements for Language part. Your GPA, and recommendation letters would matter more.
Good luck!
Like I mentioned, Waterloo M.Eng in ECE requires least 6 in W and 6 in S which I do comply and overall of 6.5