+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Single Journey Travel Document

laylashiek

Feb 4, 2024
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking information regarding the Canadian Single Journey Travel Document (SJTD). I received an email from the high commissions of Canada stating my spouse’s passport is not recognized by Canada, and we would be instead issued a SJTD. Does anyone have experience with their spouse flying with this document? Specifically, I'd like to know about the process, any restrictions, and general advice for using the SJTD for air travel. Any insights or personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm seeking information regarding the Canadian Single Journey Travel Document (SJTD). I received an email from the high commissions of Canada stating my spouse’s passport is not recognized by Canada, and we would be instead issued a SJTD. Does anyone have experience with their spouse flying with this document? Specifically, I'd like to know about the process, any restrictions, and general advice for using the SJTD for air travel. Any insights or personal anecdotes would be greatly appreciated!
Hi,

This is a document that permits an airline to carry the person legally, and therefore the SJTD releases the airline from any financial liability for carrying the person to Canada.

It is a single purpose, good for one trip only travel document.

Without this document the person has nothing that will get them to Canada since their national passport isn't recognized.

Insight: they can be used to remove people from Canada too.

abassam912

Jul 18, 2024
Hi,

This is a document that permits an airline to carry the person legally, and therefore the SJTD releases the airline from any financial liability for carrying the person to Canada.

It is a single purpose, good for one trip only travel document.

Without this document the person has nothing that will get them to Canada since their national passport isn't recognized.

Insight: they can be used to remove people from Canada too.
A related question, I've been issued a sjtd, but I don't want to travel on the same day that is written on the document, do you think I can just ignore and travel on any other date? Basically I need to travel earlier.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
A related question, I've been issued a sjtd, but I don't want to travel on the same day that is written on the document, do you think I can just ignore and travel on any other date? Basically I need to travel earlier.
I don't remember what the SJTD looks like, but it's the airline's decision about boarding you. The SJTD absolves them from fines that can be levied for boarding inadmissible passengers so it's a nerve test for them that they're unlikely to agree to.

You can always try.

I see that you're in Spain? A favourite place for me.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
.are you sure that it says travel only on that day, or valid until that day?

abassam912

Jul 18, 2024
I don't remember what the SJTD looks like, but it's the airline's decision about boarding you. The SJTD absolves them from fines that can be levied for boarding inadmissible passengers so it's a nerve test for them that they're unlikely to agree to.

You can always try.

[/QUOTE

You can always try.

Thanks for your reply.
I wish I could like the country too, but had very bad experiences since day one here

Sjtd is a piece of paper with an entry visa stamped on it. Just like this, nothing more, I thought it would be a passport of one page at least. Maybe you can google it and see how it looks like.

The issue if I risked it and was refused from boarding, I would lose at least a 1000 euro plus a new ticket. And seriously I can no way afford this right now.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Thanks for your reply.
I wish I could like the country too, but had very bad experiences since day one here

Sjtd is a piece of paper with an entry visa stamped on it. Just like this, nothing more, I thought it would be a passport of one page at least. Maybe you can google it and see how it looks like.

The issue if I risked it and was refused from boarding, I would lose at least a 1000 euro plus a new ticket. And seriously I can no way afford this right now.
I can't give you any advice that might further disadvantage you, but perhaps go the airline office. I can see that you're desperate, and I'd like to help but I doubt that the SJDT would be accepted because they could be liable for thousands.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It says neither, just "date of departure Aug 4th 2024"
And visa says valid from Jul 22nd for 6 months.
I do not know enough about this document or the circumstances, so difficult for me to say.

Since the visa is valid, there is a very high probability that Canada will admit you at the port of entry. (I am guessing that the visa itself was basically issued on the 22nd). If the visa is valid from July 22nd, it is valid for entry as of that day.

But as noted, the issue is whether the airline will let you board. If you can get them to confirm in advance, or get the visa office to revise the date (or put a date range), should also work.

It is possible that the visa office at the embassy - IF they have very good connections - could confirm to the airline or the spanish authorities that okay to fly earlier. But that would be very hard to find out about.

The problem you're going to face, however, is that in this day of email and no-one ever being able to answer a phone, etc., that it may take you the full nine days remaining until Aug 4 to get it resolved.