+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Passport applying from USA

wemiwemi

Apr 21, 2022
Hi,

I am currently living in the US and trying to apply for a new Canadian passport.

I understand that we can mail to QC passport office via mail from the US, but I will be moving soon so do not have a permanent address for any return documents. Is it possible that I send my application (along with all necessary docs) to my family living in Canada (since we have a permanent address in Canada) so they can send to QC passport office? If so, will I still pay the fee for mailing from USA ($260)??

thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

I am currently living in the US and trying to apply for a new Canadian passport.

I understand that we can mail to QC passport office via mail from the US, but I will be moving soon so do not have a permanent address for any return documents. Is it possible that I send my application (along with all necessary docs) to my family living in Canada (since we have a permanent address in Canada) so they can send to QC passport office? If so, will I still pay the fee for mailing from USA ($260)??

thanks.
Better apply after moving to new place.
I crossed the border and applied at windsor passport office but officer was not allowing me to use Canadian mailing address(to my colleague's address). She was only ready to mail to me directly or whole family needs to go to windsor to pick the passports(of my family members - spouse and child).
So i paid fees which was charged for US rates due to mailout to US.
Timeline: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canadian-passport-in-person-timeline.748892/page-67#post-10102712

Reactions: bellaluna

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Better apply after moving to new place.
I crossed the border and applied at windsor passport office but officer was not allowing me to use Canadian mailing address(to my colleague's address). She was only ready to mail to me directly or whole family needs to go to windsor to pick the passports(of my family members - spouse and child).
So i paid fees which was charged for US rates due to mailout to US.
Timeline: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/canadian-passport-in-person-timeline.748892/page-67#post-10102712
Hi Hari, so they shipped it out to your US address ?? Nice to know that its doable. And you crossed the border with your Indian passport after the oath?? Can you please elaborate.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Hi Hari, so they shipped it out to your US address ?? Nice to know that its doable. And you crossed the border with your Indian passport after the oath?? Can you please elaborate.
Yes, shouldnt be an issue coming to US after oath. US just cares about whether you use non-canadian passport with visa or canadian passport. They dont worry which passport you use to travel/enter.

To enter Canada, you can use the Indian passport for identification and the citizenship certificate to enter.

Was traveling between these 2 countries few times for various purpose apart from this purpose as well, after the oath.
I visited windsor passport office for my family first and then later for me after few months.

While applying for my family, they asked me to bring all of them to pickup the passport or they would send the passport directly to US address. As its same fee, i told them to send it to the US address.
But for me, i went to pick up.

All these trips were of road using my car.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Yes, shouldnt be an issue coming to US after oath. US just cares about whether you use non-canadian passport with visa or canadian passport. They dont worry which passport you use to travel/enter.

To enter Canada, you can use the Indian passport for identification and the citizenship certificate to enter.

Was traveling between these 2 countries few times for various purpose apart from this purpose as well, after the oath.
I visited windsor passport office for my family first and then later for me after few months.

While applying for my family, they asked me to bring all of them to pickup the passport or they would send the passport directly to US address. As its same fee, i told them to send it to the US address.
But for me, i went to pick up.

All these trips were of road using my car.
Thats nice to know. Wish all passport offices were honoring shipping to US. I need to try this. Also did you opt for any particular service for your family(like 2-10 business days. 9-25 business days. ? ) Any idea how much was for shipping fee? Was it same within US and Canada as well?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thats nice to know. Wish all passport offices were honoring shipping to US. I need to try this. Also did you opt for any particular service for your family(like 2-10 business days. 9-25 business days. ? ) Any idea how much was for shipping fee? Was it same within US and Canada as well?
If you can only be in Canada for a short while, you can do urgent handling, and arrange to pick it up in the office. Shortest is next day.

You must check what they require (I believe for next day they will request some proof of travel), but most important, check that you are going to a 'passport office' location (they are all now technically Service Canada but some basically ONLY do passports and offer full service).

You may also find that if you just give them a Canadian address and say that it is your address (i.e. DON'T volunteer that you are having it sent to your relative's place), they may accept it. But pick-up at the office is reliable and easier anyway. (Note that some courier services don't like to send official docs across borders - YMMV).

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
If you can only be in Canada for a short while, you can do urgent handling, and arrange to pick it up in the office. Shortest is next day.

You must check what they require (I believe for next day they will request some proof of travel), but most important, check that you are going to a 'passport office' location (they are all now technically Service Canada but some basically ONLY do passports and offer full service).

You may also find that if you just give them a Canadian address and say that it is your address (i.e. DON'T volunteer that you are having it sent to your relative's place), they may accept it. But pick-up at the office is reliable and easier anyway. (Note that some courier services don't like to send official docs across borders - YMMV).
I can do that but the problem is im getting my oath completed on thursday and then I had to wait till Monday or tuesday to pick it up. I would want to apply passport on friday and then leave on weekend .

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I can do that but the problem is im getting my oath completed on thursday and then I had to wait till Monday or tuesday to pick it up. I would want to apply passport on friday and then leave on weekend .
Some may do pick-up on weekend. Or you may have to change your plans. Or use one of the other options.

Acharya9099

Jul 26, 2021
Do I need to send my original Indian passport with Canadian passport application? It just states send any Canadian or other travel document issued to you.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Do I need to send my original Indian passport with Canadian passport application? It just states send any Canadian or other travel document issued to you.
• If applying by mail, provide copies of both sides of your ID and have them signed and dated by your guarantor.

You don't need Indian passport. That clause is in case you renewing your passport.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
I didnt opt for expedited. No other fees for shipping as it includes everything (as its higher fees anyway for US residents).
Yes of course all of them will allow for US shipping or you can apply by mail from US after the oath.

Are they giving the certificate on same day nowadays? i am out of touch hence asking.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
(Note that some courier services don't like to send official docs across borders - YMMV).
Is it the courier services or the agency themselves? Because people who renew it from US has to follow the same route right. They apply from US and the packet reaches Canada and sent back to US ?? In my case, i would be applying it in Canada and shipping it to US. Just trying to figure out the ways. Unless Im there to apply wouldn't know how things work!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Is it the courier services or the agency themselves? Because people who renew it from US has to follow the same route right. They apply from US and the packet reaches Canada and sent back to US ?? In my case, i would be applying it in Canada and shipping it to US. Just trying to figure out the ways. Unless Im there to apply wouldn't know how things work!
My comment about what courier services will do was in context of you having it sent to a private residence in Canada and then your family/friends sending it to you- and they'd just have to check with the courier.

I assume that IRCC knows that whatever service they use to send to USA will actually send it to USA, or that they ahve some other arrangement that works. (Technically they could send it to embassy/consulate and ship from there - I don't know).