+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Parent Lost Citizenship Papers

Human Errer

Nov 20, 2020
If my recollection is good, no coverage in Quebec before COPR. Three (3) months waiting period after COPR.
I think you’re talking about permanent residence? What bearing does that have on people who were born Canadian citizens, such as myself? I don’t need to apply for permanent residence if I was born a Canadian citizen, do I?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Why do I get the feeling that 99% of the responses I’m getting are from people who are hoping to discourage anyone/everyone from entering Canada at all costs, regardless of their circumstances? I get the impression that a lot of the “VIP Members” here are Canadian xenophobes.

I was born a Canadian citizen. I have every right to move to Canada if I so choose, and I will have just as much right to be there - and to enjoy the same rights as every other Canadian - when I get there as any other person born a Canadian citizen.

I don’t think I’m going to listen to anybody from this site who doesn’t automatically back their statements up with links to reputable sources anymore. If you have a link to back up what you’ve said, please share it. I’m not accusing you directly of having nefarious motives, but your curtness and the fact that you’ve only offered a negative opinion that was seemingly designed to discourage me from even trying tells me that may not be far from the truth.
Facts aren’t negative opinions. If you took the 8/10ths of a second to review a google search of my comments, you would find the official information yourself. Until you have proof of your Canadian citizenship (which you yourself have indicated will take years to obtain), you aren’t eligible for AISH, either as a refugee claimant or an resident without status. Good luck in your quest.

https://www.alberta.ca/aish-eligibility.aspx#toc-0

Age and residency criteria
  • You are at least 18 years old and not eligible to receive an Old Age Security pension.
  • You live in Alberta and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are not in a correctional facility or some mental health facilities such as Alberta Hospital Edmonton.

Human Errer

Nov 20, 2020
Facts aren’t negative opinions. If you took the 8/10ths of a second to review a google search of my comments, you would find the official information yourself. Until you have proof of your Canadian citizenship (which you yourself have indicated will take years to obtain), you aren’t eligible for AISH, either as a refugee claimant or an resident without status. Good luck in your quest.

https://www.alberta.ca/aish-eligibility.aspx#toc-0

Age and residency criteria
  • You are at least 18 years old and not eligible to receive an Old Age Security pension.
  • You live in Alberta and are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
  • You are not in a correctional facility or some mental health facilities such as Alberta Hospital Edmonton.
I did actually take the time, since you did not originally, and I saw exactly that. It doesn’t say “you must have proof of citizenship before you can receive AISH” which is how you phrased it. The way you phrased it was very negative. I’m a linguist, so don’t try to tell me that it isn’t possible to determine a person’s underlying feelings on a subject based on the manner in which they convey a thought.

Thanks. I will be moving permanently to my second country of citizenship at the earliest possible point, regardless of whether or not anyone disapproves of my desire to do so.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Also - does anybody inow how she can get her proof of citizenship without any documentation at all? Would Nova Scotia (where she was naturalized in 1975) still have a record of her naturalization, and if do, how would she obtain those records without any documentation of her own?
Just a suggestion in terms of speeding the search - if your parent had a social insurance number (worked at all, for example), canadian revenue agency may be able to find that more quickly, and that would help narrow her search with citizenship authoritis. You should think of other potential agencies (nova scotia health agency? schooling related?) that might also have records.

Reactions: Human Errer

Human Errer

Nov 20, 2020
Just a suggestion in terms of speeding the search - if your parent had a social insurance number (worked at all, for example), canadian revenue agency may be able to find that more quickly, and that would help narrow her search with citizenship authoritis. You should think of other potential agencies (nova scotia health agency? schooling related?) that might also have records.
Yeah... I was just thinking that maybe she can request “special authorization” to travel to Canada and have them look up her citizenship status through that process, and include the results with my own application. The official website says they can verify whether or not she has ever been issued a certificate of citizenship in their electronic system in case a Canadian citizen lost their documents while traveling abroad and need to return home. It’s a very quick process, apparently.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I was born a Canadian citizen. I have every right to move to Canada if I so choose, and I will have just as much right to be there - and to enjoy the same rights as every other Canadian - when I get there as any other person born a Canadian citizen.
Sure. But keep in mind, what we've told you so far applies to other Canadians as well - if you're not resident for a certain period of time, you don't have health care (in most provinces, I don't have details for every province). In point of fact, I don't either, despite having spent most of my life in Canada.

You also face the challenge that although you likely are a Canadian citizen from what you've said, you don't have documentary proof of that, and if your parent did not register your birth abroad / file for citizenship, the Canadian government does not know you are a citizen - at least from what you've said, it has no idea you have a claim to citizenship or even exist, really.

Assuming you are a US citizen, you can likely enter Canada and say at border "I believe I am a Canadian citizen by my parent"; I doubt they would deny you entry but until you got through the process, you are only a visitor who believes has a claim to citizenship. (I should flag, I have no idea how the border people would treat this - by law as citizen you should enter on Canadian documents - don't know what they do for those that don't have them)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yeah... I was just thinking that maybe she can request “special authorization” to travel to Canada and have them look up her citizenship status through that process, and include the results with my own application. The official website says they can verify whether or not she has ever been issued a certificate of citizenship in their electronic system in case a Canadian citizen lost their documents while traveling abroad and need to return home. It’s a very quick process, apparently.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut
She can certainly try that and it would help determine her info to speed your own app. Or apply for a passport.

Human Errer

Nov 20, 2020
Sure. But keep in mind, what we've told you so far applies to other Canadians as well - if you're not resident for a certain period of time, you don't have health care (in most provinces, I don't have details for every province). In point of fact, I don't either, despite having spent most of my life in Canada.

You also face the challenge that although you likely are a Canadian citizen from what you've said, you don't have documentary proof of that, and if your parent did not register your birth abroad / file for citizenship, the Canadian government does not know you are a citizen - at least from what you've said, it has no idea you have a claim to citizenship or even exist, really.

Assuming you are a US citizen, you can likely enter Canada and say at border "I believe I am a Canadian citizen by my parent"; I doubt they would deny you entry but until you got through the process, you are only a visitor who believes has a claim to citizenship. (I should flag, I have no idea how the border people would treat this - by law as citizen you should enter on Canadian documents - don't know what they do for those that don't have them)
You don’t have healthcare in Canada, despite being a citizen/PR? How does that work?! That whole system seems strange to me, but I live in a country that forces people to pay out-of-pocket for pretty much everything (or buy expensive insurance from a private company), so which is better?! :confused:

Yeah, I want to believe that the border officers would just welcome me in, slap a cup of hot cocoa in my hand and a warm blanket over my back, console me for having to have lived in the US for so long, and send me on my merry little way into Canada, birds chirping and moose doing whatever it is moose do. Something tells me it won’t be that pleasant, though.

I think the process is a *lot* easier for anyone who has already been issued some form of documentation in the past. Like you said - they don’t even know I exist, aside from the multiple times I’ve been to Canada in the past. It seems like I just have to be patient and hope I don’t get covid and die in the meantime.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You don’t have healthcare in Canada, despite being a citizen/PR?
I'm not in Canada but when I return, I'll have to wait for coverage like anyone else.

I can't say with deep knowledge but the few times I've had to get healthcare in Canada as a non-covered person, it's been reasonable in price. Depends of course on the nature of the medical care.

Insurance is recommended of course. It may be relatively reasonably priced because the underlying medical care is also reasonable.

Last edited:

Human Errer

Nov 20, 2020
I'm not in Canada but when I return, I'll have to wait for coverage like anyone else.

I can't say with deep knowledge but the few times I've had to get healthcare in Canada as a non-covered person, it's been reasonable in price. Depends of course on the nature of the medical care.

Insurance is recommended of course. It may be relatively reasonably priced because the underlying medical care is also reasonable.
Okay. This has been very helpful. Thank you very much for your time and patience! I can’t say that I’m particularly looking forward to the process, but I’m definitely excited to get away from the US and to calling myself a full-fledged “Canadian.” I’ve been considering moving to Canada ever since the 2000 election.