+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Express Entry- Work History - Background Actor

Hopefulperson

Aug 26, 2020
Hello everyone,

This is related to my Work History section in my Canadian Express Entry invitation.

I have gathered the necessary letters of reference for all the jobs I've had in the past 10 years in Canada. However, when it comes to my work as a Background actor, when I asked my talent agency to provide a letter of reference. They mentioned that as a 'talent' I am considered self-employed and their job was representing me.

So that means a production company asks talent agencies for actors, the talent agency that represents me offers me as an actor, and then I would go on to work for a day on their set, and get paid directly by that production company. Therefore the talent agency cannot provide me with a Letter of Reference as I was never their 'employee'

Do I just not list this kind of work under work history? Otherwise how am I supposed to supply a letter of reference because in this case I would not be given one since I was just 'represented' and not an employee?

Please advise. Thank you for your time.

hyong1991

Star Member
Feb 27, 2019
"all the jobs I've had in the past 10 years in Canada. "

I don't think you require reference letters for jobs that you're not claiming points for, are you claiming pts for this job ? if not, it's probably not required , but still, let the experts on this site confirm this fact.

Hopefulperson

Aug 26, 2020
Oh, I wasn't sure I was claiming any 'points' for my jobs other than my current one. My current job is the only one that would make me eligible for my PR (Based on the N0C level) that I would care to mention.

I assumed I was supposed to provide a letter of reference for all my jobs listed in my PERSONAL HISTORY that would fill the gaps of time after I finished my Canadian college studies as I've been here on a postgraduate visa.

However, is it safe to say that you're saying I don't need to claim those at all in my WORK HISTORY other than my current job?