+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian experience from two different jobs

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Hello,

I am getting close to one year of Canadian experience. But I will have this experience from two different employments:
NOC 6221 : Feb 2 - June 30, 2014
NOC 2132 : July 21, 2014 - Present
So, on Feb 21, I will have full one year of Canadian experience. I was wondering if that meets the criteria of 1 year experience for express entry system. Or does it have to be 1 year continuous employment even for Canadian experience class?

mtnx

Jan 14, 2015
It will meet the criteria for CEC but it seems like having two different NOC codes creates an issue to get the points for Canadian Work Experience.

I thought it didn't make sense seeing CEC criteria = 'Met' and Canadian Work Experience points = 0.

When you enter the NOC code of your primary occupation, which is your current one, NOC 2132, once you enter all of your work history it only gives you points if you have at least one year full-time permanent work for that NOC code.

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
mtnx said:
It will meet the criteria for CEC but it seems like having two different NOC codes creates an issue to get the points for Canadian Work Experience.

I thought it didn't make sense seeing CEC criteria = 'Met' and Canadian Work Experience points = 0.

When you enter the NOC code of your primary occupation, which is your current one, NOC 2132, once you enter all of your work history it only gives you points if you have at least one year full-time permanent work for that NOC code.
Thanks mtnx. So it means the basic requirement of 1 year work experience is met to enter the express entry pool but it is not awarding points since it is not in the same NOC code. Am I right?

vic2014

Star Member
May 27, 2014
That's right Nimar.

So people with two part-time jobs can apply under CEC, but won't be awarded experience points unless they apply after two year which would give them the equivalent of 1 year of full-time work.

mtnx

Jan 14, 2015
Yes, my understanding is that the NOC codes have to coincide. If you try changing the NOC codes to be the same then you should see the 40 points as a single applicant. However, if the two jobs are different and there's no way they could fit in the same NOC, make sure you change it back! :)

doubleym

Jan 6, 2015
mtnx said:
Yes, my understanding is that the NOC codes have to coincide. If you try changing the NOC codes to be the same then you should see the 40 points as a single applicant. However, if the two jobs are different and there's no way they could fit in the same NOC, make sure you change it back! :)
There is also confusion because part of the CIC site states that for CEC, the 1-year of employment must also be continuous, however I think this is contradicted elsewhere, so I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure...

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

Says...

have at least 12 months of full-time (or an equal amount in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada in the three years before you apply
But here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/hire/cec.asp

Says...

have at least 12 months of continuous full time (or the equivalent in part-time) skilled work experience in Canada with the proper authorization in the three years before they apply
So I would check into this if you don't have a solid year of continuous employment in Canada.

nimar_023

Star Member
Aug 8, 2014
Thanks mtnx and vic2014.
I understand the unavailability of 40 points for Canadian experience from two different jobs. What about in the skill transferability factors? Is it going to create a problem over there as well, specially where it considers the canadian experience?

XH

Nov 1, 2014
doubleym said:
There is also confusion because part of the CIC site states that for CEC, the 1-year of employment must also be continuous, however I think this is contradicted elsewhere, so I'm not sure if anyone knows for sure...

Says...

But here:

Says...

So I would check into this if you don't have a solid year of continuous employment in Canada.
From cic website help centre

How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

it doesn't mention that you have to be in one NOC job right?

renesa05

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
XH said:
From cic website help centre

How much work experience do I need to apply under the Canadian Experience Class?

You must have earned at least one year of full-time skilled work experience (or the equivalent in part-time) in Canada within the three years before we receive your application for permanent residence under the Canadian Experience Class. Your skilled work experience does not have to be continuous but it must total one year of full-time work altogether.

“Full-time” means at least 30 hours of paid work in one week. One year of full-time work is at least 1560 hours.

it doesn't mention that you have to be in one NOC job right?

I have the same question. Does it have to be in the same NOC for CEC applicants?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
renesa05 said:
I have the same question. Does it have to be in the same NOC for CEC applicants?
There was a rule change since the original post. It does not have to be the same NOC for Canadian experience.

renesa05

Star Member
Jul 17, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jes_ON said:
There was a rule change since the original post. It does not have to be the same NOC for Canadian experience.
+1
Thought so. Thank you. :)

Om1280

Nov 1, 2016
jes_ON said:
Hi jes_ON,

Is there a link for the change of rules? I'm in the same situation. 10 month with one company and 2 month with another. I want to be sure if it counts as one year continuous work

ssiddharthsuresh

Star Member
May 12, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-01-2017
AOR Received.
10-01-2017
Passport Req..
16-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-03-2017
LANDED..........
23-03-2017
Om1280 said:
Hi jes_ON,

Is there a link for the change of rules? I'm in the same situation. 10 month with one company and 2 month with another. I want to be sure if it counts as one year continuous work
Yes it does

demand510

Apr 4, 2017
mtnx said:

Hi,
I have same situation with my full-time Canadian experience.

6 month - NOC 2171
10 month - NOC 1112 (current job)

If I will apply now - do I need to update my current primary occupation in order to get points for "at least one year full-time permanent work for that NOC code" or it will adds up automatically when my experience reach one year?

Or it is better to wait until one year if I want points for one year experience to be counted?

Please help with advice!

Mrsharma

Sep 20, 2014
Some immigration agent told me if you gonna change employer , you need minimum of six months work experience with the first employer to be eligible. Less than six month work experience won't get count in total of one year experience. Is that right? I haven't read such rule on cic website.