+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Experience Class Question

vick_kenny

Jan 11, 2015
Hello All,

This is my situation;

I have been in Canada for 4 years and 2 months now,
Did Post Graduate Diploma Program in Human Resources Mgmt for 1 year,
Got one year Post Grad Work Permit which ran out but before it ran out, i had to go back to school because i thought i could never extend it or apply to extend PGWP.
Within my stay here,
I have a Permanent Part-time Job as a Community Support Worker (Skill Level B- NOC 4212),
Been on the job for over 1 year and have over 2,500 hours.

I don't want to keep sending money being in school when i don't have to but because i have to keep a valid status.
I want to apply for my permanent residency and start my life in Canada.

Considering that i have graduated from a Canadian University 2012/ 2013 and have met the requirements,
How do i proceed with getting my PR?

Thank you in anticipation

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Firstly, if your Bachelor's degree is from a country other than Canada, you need to have it assessed. Read this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/assessment.asp

While the assessment is ongoing, you need to take a language test. Either TEF for French, or IELTS (General, not Academic) for English.

Once you have your ECA and language test reports in your hand, start here; answer the questions, and follow the steps: http://www.cic.gc.ca/ctc-vac/ee-start.asp

mrawa

Star Member
Jul 24, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
06-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
20-02-2017
LANDED..........
22-03-2017
@vicky_kenny,

quick question - I was under the impression that you are only entitled to acquire a PGWP once in your life time. As you mentioned, you did a post grad diploma of 1 year, you got a 1 year PGWP, then you went back to school, what's your status now? I am running out of my PGWP as well.

Thanks

vick_kenny

Jan 11, 2015
@mrawa

I understand your situation as it was similar to mine.
This is my second missionary journey back to school. When my PGWP was about to expire, i had no other choice than going back to school (that was not because i love school) just to have a valid status in Canada.
But recently, some friends told me they applied for extension of PGWP and got more time to work (I don't know how that worked out for them but i guess they were lucky because at the time mine was about to run out, i had no slight idea that PGWP can be extended).

vick_kenny

Jan 11, 2015
istari said:
Firstly, if your Bachelor's degree is from a country other than Canada, you need to have it assessed
While the assessment is ongoing, you need to take a language test. Either TEF for French, or IELTS (General, not Academic) for English.

Once you have your ECA and language test reports in your hand, start here; answer the questions, and follow the steps

Thanks for the information.
But shouldn't the fact i did a Post Graduate Program here in Canada overrule (that my Secondary School Certificate and Post Secondary / Bachelor's Degree was already checked before i was allowed to pursue a Post Graduate Program here in Canada)

I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management from a Canadian University, do i still have to get it assessed and do i need to write an English Test considering i have schooled, worked and lived in Canada for 4 years now?

vick_kenny

Jan 11, 2015
@istari

But shouldn't the fact i did a Post Graduate Program here in Canada overrule (that my Secondary School Certificate and Post Secondary / Bachelor's Degree was already checked before i was allowed to pursue a Post Graduate Program here in Canada)

I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resources Management from a Canadian University, do i still have to get it assessed and do i need to write an English Test considering i have schooled, worked and lived in Canada for 4 years now?

pkssandhu

Apr 16, 2013
vick_kenny said:
@istari

English test is a must when applying for immigration. Regardless of which country you are coming from, what is your education level and if you have been in Canada as a student or a worker for how many ever year.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
vick_kenny said:
@istari

If you only want to claim points for your PGD, then you don't need an ECA.
But if you want points for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" then, as far as I know, you need to have your Bachelor's assessed.
I'm not 100% certain of this, though, so you may wish to post that question in another thread and wait for a senior to respond.

Everyone must take a language test. Even native speakers.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
vick_kenny said:
I have a Permanent Part-time Job as a Community Support Worker (Skill Level B- NOC 4212),
Been on the job for over 1 year and have over 2,500 hours.
You are probably OK, but be careful how you count the hours. The hours you have suggest "full time."

Regardless of whether your employer considers you part time, IRCC defines "full-time" as "30 or more hours per week," part-time as "less than 30 hours per week." You typically only count hours if you are "part-time" (less than 30 hours per week) to calculate the full-time equivalent (FTE); if you are counting hours, the maximum you can count per week is 30.

Example:
week 1: 20 hours worked = 20 hours
week 2: 40 hours worked = 30 hours
week 3: 10 hours worked = 10 hours
week 4: 80 hours worked = 30 hours

Total FTE = 90 hours (not 150), 90 /30 = 3 FTE weeks.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That's such a nice, succinct way of explaining this. I will be linking people to this post in the future.
Thanks. +1

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
jes_ON said:
You are probably OK, but be careful how you count the hours. The hours you have suggest "full time."

Regardless of whether your employer considers you part time, IRCC defines "full-time" as "30 or more hours per week," part-time as "less than 30 hours per week." You typically only count hours if you are "part-time" (less than 30 hours per week) to calculate the full-time equivalent (FTE); if you are counting hours, the maximum you can count per week is 30.

Example:
week 1: 20 hours worked = 20 hours
week 2: 40 hours worked = 30 hours
week 3: 10 hours worked = 10 hours
week 4: 80 hours worked = 30 hours

Total FTE = 90 hours (not 150), 90 /30 = 3 FTE weeks.
stating the obvious the OP i think needs to be careful with quoting any hours to CIC given of course whilst working under PGWP working full time is fine as is during course breaks but outside that of course the 20 hours a week rule applies on a study permit. So the OP may need to be prepared to show they kept to the rules whilst in education and did not just accumalate extra hours in that period over the 20 hrs a week allowed.

As for extending PGWP this would generally only have been possible due to a passport expiry date at time of application or due to an admin error when issued. Other than that PGWPs are a one time issue that cannot be extended or renewed. Would always be wary of what 'friends' say they were able to do unless they have concrete proof given they are possibly saying what you want to hear as opposed to their exact circumstances.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Bs65 said:
stating the obvious the OP i think needs to be careful with quoting any hours to CIC given of course whilst working under PGWP working full time is fine as is during course breaks but outside that of course the 20 hours a week rule applies on a study permit. So the OP may need to be prepared to show they kept to the rules whilst in education and did not just accumalate extra hours in that period over the 20 hrs a week allowed.
Ah, you're right but you reminded me of an even bigger issue.

It is not clear what the OP's status was while working as a CSW. However, it sounds like vick_kenny only had a work permit for 1 year, the rest of the time was on a study permit. So just a reminder, no work experience will "count" while on a study permit. And by definition, it is impossible to gain 1 year of FTE experience when working part-time for one year.

So now the question for vick_kenny is, how much skilled work experience was gained while on valid worker status?

kamyab164

Sep 12, 2016
Hi all,

I have 3 years foreign job experience, a year full-time job experience in Canada, and recently I got a full-time permanent job offer(no LMIA,noc A). Here are my questions:
1-In which category I have more chance to be invited for PR?CEC or FSW?
2-How long the process would take?
3-How can I know about the minimum score that was invited for PR ?

Thanks

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamyab164 said:
Hi all,

I have 3 years foreign job experience, a year full-time job experience in Canada, and recently I got a full-time permanent job offer(no LMIA,noc A). Here are my questions:
1-In which category I have more chance to be invited for PR?CEC or FSW?
It doesn't matter.
Applicants for both categories are entered into the same pool, which has the same cutoff score. Your CRS will be the same whichever category you're in.
There are only 2 differences:
- CEC does not require POF. FSW does.
- you must have a minimum of 1 year of qualifying work experience in your primary NOC. So if your Canadian and foreign work experience are in different NOCs, the category you choose will depend on the NOC you wish to select as your primary.

2-How long the process would take?
6+ months.

3-How can I know about the minimum score that was invited for PR ?
Google something along the lines of "express entry rounds of invitation".

Thanks

kamyab164

Sep 12, 2016
Thanks for your response.
Does my job offer(full time, permanent,without LMIA) have any positive effect on my score?
My score is 437(I counted in the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) page) ,how can I increase it more? Just English test?(I am living in the Canada,BC)the last draw score is 483!
My husband is graduated from Ontario, does it have any effect on my score?