+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian debt for non-Canadian being sponsored, does it matter?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
waitingforfi said:
canuck_in_uk,

That is certainly my intention. Like many folks who end up being contacted by a collections agency, my case is not clear-cut. But as you may know, collections agencies are less than scrupulous about how they collect, the nature of their demands, etc. And of course you can't pay a debt with money you don't yet have. I was merely concerned that this situation might have an impact on my ability to gain permanent residency, and it doesn't look like that's the case.
I know how underhanded debt collectors can be when trying to collect but I also know that some debtors can be just as underhanded in attempting to not pay their debts. I have a few acquaintances who have purposely racked up debt that they never intend to pay, whereas my partner and I were in quite a bit of debt but managed to pay it all off, so my opinion of those (not referring at all to you) who never intend to pay isn't too high.

It's good to hear that you intend to clear it up. I also know what it's like to be in the position of having difficulties paying it all off, so I wish you luck in sorting it out.

And as stated by the others, it will have no effect on your app. Good luck