Star Member
Sep 2, 2016
Edmonton
Visa Office......
Ottawa
AOR Received.
16-05-2017
Hi there,

I am Manju, I came to Canada as a student in September 2010 and finished my Master’s degree in chemical engineering in May 2014. Right after completing my studies, I got a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) to work in Canada for a period of 3 years, but the jobs I did in Canada, none of them were categorized under skilled labor, So I was not able to apply for permanent residency (PR) through Canadian experience category)

In 2017 April, I got the invitation to apply for permanent residency under the Foreign Skilled Worker (FSW) category, (I worked as a chemical engineer in India for 1 year, before I came to Canada in 2010 and I used that experience to apply for the permanent residency under FSW).

I submitted the completed application in May 2017 and while my application was under processing, I traveled back to India to visit my sick mother in September 2017, during this time, I got the decision from the Canadian immigration that my application was rejected because I did not provide documents for ‘proof of funds. (I actually submitted the pay stub from my Canadian employer, but immigration said, since my Canadian work is categorized under ‘non-skill’ labor jobs, the pay stubs were not eligible to show as a document for proof of funds)

At present, I am living in India (my home country,) but while I was living in Canada, I, unfortunately, maxed out all 3 of my credit cards for a combined amount of CAD 24K and I kept paying the minimum balance for a really long time to avoid any hit on my credit score.

Since my PR application got rejected, I couldn’t able to travel back to Canada, so I continued to stay in India and found a job, but the pay was very low (about 500 CAD per month), since I was not earning much, I was not able to pay the minimum balance for the credit cards. A few months later, I received a letter from the collection agency in Canada stating that if I don’t repay the money I owe, I will be considered bankrupt automatically. (before I received the letter from the collection agency, I called the bank and told them about my situation, but they said that I have to pay the minimum balances every month, and if not done, my credit card balances will be transferred to the collection agency)

I tried to contact the collection agency but I lost the letter they sent me.

My question is, I am trying to come back to Canada through the ‘express entry’ but I am worried that my application would be rejected based on my Canadian financial history (that is my unpaid credit card balances). So if anyone has any knowledge of this kind of issue please tell me whether my application would be rejected based on my unpaid credit card balances.

I would greatly appreciate the help If anyone could shed some light on this issue.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Hi there,

I am Manju, I came to Canada as a student in September 2010 and finished my Master’s degree in chemical engineering in May 2014. Right after completing my studies, I got a post-graduate work permit (PGWP) to work in Canada for a period of 3 years, but the jobs I did in Canada, none of them were categorized under skilled labor, So I was not able to apply for permanent residency (PR) through Canadian experience category)

In 2017 April, I got the invitation to apply for permanent residency under the Foreign Skilled Worker (FSW) category, (I worked as a chemical engineer in India for 1 year, before I came to Canada in 2010 and I used that experience to apply for the permanent residency under FSW).

I submitted the completed application in May 2017 and while my application was under processing, I traveled back to India to visit my sick mother in September 2017, during this time, I got the decision from the Canadian immigration that my application was rejected because I did not provide documents for ‘proof of funds. (I actually submitted the pay stub from my Canadian employer, but immigration said, since my Canadian work is categorized under ‘non-skill’ labor jobs, the pay stubs were not eligible to show as a document for proof of funds)

At present, I am living in India (my home country,) but while I was living in Canada, I, unfortunately, maxed out all 3 of my credit cards for a combined amount of CAD 24K and I kept paying the minimum balance for a really long time to avoid any hit on my credit score.

Since my PR application got rejected, I couldn’t able to travel back to Canada, so I continued to stay in India and found a job, but the pay was very low (about 500 CAD per month), since I was not earning much, I was not able to pay the minimum balance for the credit cards. A few months later, I received a letter from the collection agency in Canada stating that if I don’t repay the money I owe, I will be considered bankrupt automatically. (before I received the letter from the collection agency, I called the bank and told them about my situation, but they said that I have to pay the minimum balances every month, and if not done, my credit card balances will be transferred to the collection agency)

I tried to contact the collection agency but I lost the letter they sent me.

My question is, I am trying to come back to Canada through the ‘express entry’ but I am worried that my application would be rejected based on my Canadian financial history (that is my unpaid credit card balances). So if anyone has any knowledge of this kind of issue please tell me whether my application would be rejected based on my unpaid credit card balances.

I would greatly appreciate the help If anyone could shed some light on this issue.
If you don't declare your massive debt in your application and they find out you will be banned by IRCC for 5 years. How would you show proof of funds? And if you have funds why not pay the debt. Your credit history anyways will be damaged a lot and even if you get in Canada your life may be tough as you may not be able to rent with a bad credit score.