+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizenship questions

s909

Jul 7, 2021
Hello,

I and my wife came to Canada under express entry on Feb 23rd, 2018. She was primary and I was the second applicant. After 2 and a half years our marriage fell apart and we have now applied for divorce after 1 year of separation.

I have a few questions.

1- Does it affect if I am a secondary applicant and she is primary? We were granted PR and got our PR cards when we landed in Canada. When I researched it says, It does not affect my PR or Citizenship process.

2 - Will I need our marriage certificate ? gc.cic does not ask for it in their citizenship application.

3 - We are getting divorced in Canada, so I will have my divorce decree with me. Would I need that as well ?

4 - Can I apply for Citizenship while my divorce process is going on or do I need to wait till I finish the divorce then apply for Citizenship? I have paid 3 years of my taxes and finished 1095 days on Feb 2021.

Please advise guys,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello,

I and my wife came to Canada under express entry on Feb 23rd, 2018. She was primary and I was the second applicant. After 2 and a half years our marriage fell apart and we have now applied for divorce after 1 year of separation.

I have a few questions.

1- Does it affect if I am a secondary applicant and she is primary? We were granted PR and got our PR cards when we landed in Canada. When I researched it says, It does not affect my PR or Citizenship process.

2 - Will I need our marriage certificate ? gc.cic does not ask for it in their citizenship application.

3 - We are getting divorced in Canada, so I will have my divorce decree with me. Would I need that as well ?

4 - Can I apply for Citizenship while my divorce process is going on or do I need to wait till I finish the divorce then apply for Citizenship? I have paid 3 years of my taxes and finished 1095 days on Feb 2021.

Please advise guys,
1. No, you remain a PR
2. No.
3. No.
4. You can apply now.

Reactions: s909

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
citizenship and marriage have no dependency.
You can apply for citizenship once you qualified. (number of days living in Canada)

Reactions: s909

s909

Jul 7, 2021
citizenship and marriage have no dependency.
You can apply for citizenship once you qualified. (number of days living in Canada)
When you apply for citizenship and when it is granted. Do you have to leave the country and come back in ? Or you can stay in Canada and it will be granted ?