+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen: wife and dependant children applied for pr last month can they get ohip? Children have been adopted by myself in brazil

Aug 10, 2021
Hi,

Im trying to understand the rules. We applied for pr inland spousal with dependants
in early april. Still waiting on acknowledgement of application and sponsor evalution. Am i able to get ohip coverage for my wife and two dependent children 17 and 20. Really just for my wife and 17 year old as my oldest is on a student visa and has coverage through the uni. The 17 year old is on a visitor record. And my wife is there as a tourist? If im not able to get them covered by ohip now will i be able to at any point before final decision is made on pr? Thanks so much for any insight.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Im trying to understand the rules. We applied for pr inland spousal with dependants
in early april. Still waiting on acknowledgement of application and sponsor evalution. Am i able to get ohip coverage for my wife and two dependent children 17 and 20. Really just for my wife and 17 year old as my oldest is on a student visa and has coverage through the uni. The 17 year old is on a visitor record. And my wife is there as a tourist? If im not able to get them covered by ohip now will i be able to at any point before final decision is made on pr? Thanks so much for any insight.
Very new rule means dependents will qualify after eligibility has passed. This may not be possible for your daughter if only recently adopted until adoption has been vetted by IRCC. Is the biological father deceased? Assume 20 yr old is an international student.

Aug 10, 2021
Hi, The adoption was about 4 years ago, but it is an adoption that does not remove the biological father, instead it adds me as a third parent. His father is very much alive and a little present in his life. It is legal in brazil and IRCC accepted it for a visitor record extension but I don't know if that means anything. Yes the 20 year old is an international student. The youngest has gotten into universities here too. On his visitor record it is written that he is allowed to stude (and maybe work i forget if that is there or not. When you say after eligibility has passsed what do you mean exactly, after i have been shown eligible to sponsor them? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, The adoption was about 4 years ago, but it is an adoption that does not remove the biological father, instead it adds me as a third parent. His father is very much alive and a little present in his life. It is legal in brazil and IRCC accepted it for a visitor record extension but I don't know if that means anything. Yes the 20 year old is an international student. The youngest has gotten into universities here too. On his visitor record it is written that he is allowed to stude (and maybe work i forget if that is there or not. When you say after eligibility has passsed what do you mean exactly, after i have been shown eligible to sponsor them? Thanks so much for taking the time to answer.
This adoption will likely not be recognized by Canada if the biological father is alive and still has parental rights. They will be considered stepchildren. I would consult an immigration lawyer but would personally not attempt to consider them as adopted in Canada or process any paperwork as adopted. If you do want to indicate that you adopted the children in Brazil I would be very clear the children have a biological father that still has parental rights. They will have to list their biological father in any of their immigration documentation which I assume they did for study permits and TRVs. Without a study permit the child can not attend college or university or work. If the youngest wants to attend uni or college next fall they either need PR of a study permit and attend as an international student.

http://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

Reactions: YVR123