+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen and work in USA

research-scientist

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I feel her pain, I'm going through licensing in Pharmacy, but Ontario is the worst place when it comes to health sciences licensure process. I'm doing it in Manitoba. Don't need to pay all those ON crappy extra fees, only whatever the exam fees are. And yes getting license in US is alot easier and quicker with alot better job opportunites for health workers and better pay, lower housing costs and better life style quality.
keesio said:
Very true. Canada makes it very difficult to work as a licensed health professional here. My wife is from the US, licensed in NY state, and she has to jump through hoops and pay through the nose to get licensed in Ontario (and get paid less on top of it). It is far easier for a Canadian (or anyone else) to work in the US. I know a doctor from Europe who got fed up trying to get licensed to work in Canada so she moved to the US and is working in a hospital in Chicago.

What's the old joke in Toronto? That the most educated people in Toronto are the taxi drivers? They do it as survival jobs while going through the pain staking process of trying to work in their profession in Canada. We have a shortage of doctors so we allow foreign ones to immigrate here... only to put up all these barriers so they end up taking menial jobs to survive... then people complain they are stealing these menial jobs from Canadians.

AJ_002

Sep 15, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
For TN Visa under "Accountants" category, I read somewhere that the requirement is to have one of the following:

1. Bachelor degree;

2. Licenciatura Degree;

3. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.);

4. Certification as a Chartered Accountant (C.A.);

5. Certification as a Certified General Accountant (C.G.A.); or

6. Certification as a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.).

Does anyone know what is meant by Licenciatura Degree? Also I have Canadian CA above but not a Canadian Bachelor degree. I have a foregin bachelor degree which is not recognized in its entirety in Canada. Would CA alone be enough here?

research-scientist

Star Member
Aug 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It does not need to be Canadian bachelor degree, your foreign earned bachelor degree is good enough.
AJ_002 said:
For TN Visa under "Accountants" category, I read somewhere that the requirement is to have one of the following:

1. Bachelor degree;

2. Licenciatura Degree;

3. Certification as a Certified Public Accountant (C.P.A.);

4. Certification as a Chartered Accountant (C.A.);

5. Certification as a Certified General Accountant (C.G.A.); or

6. Certification as a Certified Management Accountant (C.M.A.).

Does anyone know what is meant by Licenciatura Degree? Also I have Canadian CA above but not a Canadian Bachelor degree. I have a foregin bachelor degree which is not recognized in its entirety in Canada. Would CA alone be enough here?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
keesio said:
I would agree except for that Ontario PT alliance models its curriculum after Columbia's and the exam is based off NYS exam (the study book that Canadians use is actually the book from the US). So does it not make sense that they would see someone educated from the university whose curriculum you modeled your program off (so it is not only "known" but also regarded highly enough to decide to mimic) and passed the exam that you modeled your exam off and decide that someone's degree is acceptable?
@ Keesio I believe on-hold's comments were in jest/sarcasm at ON's approach. I recall one of my first trips to my doctor - he was a Cambridge and London School of Tropical Medicine grad (top tier UK institutions) who couldn't get a job when he first moved to Canada. He was offered a choice of 'go back to med school' or 'head to the remote north for 2 years' for licensing consideration. He blames the wife for the move up north but he stuck it out!

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Msafiri said:
@ Keesio I believe on-hold's comments were in jest/sarcasm at ON's approach. I recall one of my first trips to my doctor - he was a Cambridge and London School of Tropical Medicine grad (top tier UK institutions) who couldn't get a job when he first moved to Canada. He was offered a choice of 'go back to med school' or 'head to the remote north for 2 years' for licensing consideration. He blames the wife for the move up north but he stuck it out!
haha I re-read on-hold's post and yeah now I can see the sarcasm now (such as the cultural differences between Ontario and NY lol)

I guess I was too riled up to see the joke initially. It is one of two topics that rile me up these days. The other is US taxation of citizens who reside abroad (which I have also ranted enough on this forum!)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
keesio said:
haha I re-read on-hold's post and yeah now I can see the sarcasm now (such as the cultural differences between Ontario and NY lol)

I guess I was too riled up to see the joke initially. It is one of two topics that rile me up these days. The other is US taxation of citizens who reside abroad (which I have also ranted enough on this forum!)
Yeah, sorry about that! I sometimes forget that sarcasm doesn't come off well on a chat forum. Personally, I believe that most of those regulatory systems (which also occur between Canadian provinces as well), are really about professions setting up barriers that limit competition and keep local wages high; though it doesn't sound like Ontario's is really working . . .