+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadain PR staying out of Canada- applying for spouse sponsorship

lenkoo

Sep 4, 2018
Hello All,

I am a canadain PR staying out of Canada for the past 7 months due to some family emergency back in my home country. I am still working for the Canadian company, paying my rent and also my car insurance.

I am getting married next month and want to bring my spouse to Canada after the wedding. Should I come to canada to apply for spouse sponsorship or can I stay here and apply for spouse sponsorship?

I heard the terms inland and outland sponsorship but not sure what is mandatory here for my case. Also will there be any change in timelines when it comes to inland vs outland?

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You must apply to sponsor from within Canada.

Inland and outland refer to whether the spouse (applicant) is in Canada or not.

Spouse can apply for trv. No guarantee it will be approved.

Last edited:
Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello All,

I am a canadain PR staying out of Canada for the past 7 months due to some family emergency back in my home country. I am still working for the Canadian company, paying my rent and also my car insurance.

I am getting married next month and want to bring my spouse to Canada after the wedding. Should I come to canada to apply for spouse sponsorship or can I stay here and apply for spouse sponsorship?

I heard the terms inland and outland sponsorship but not sure what is mandatory here for my case. Also will there be any change in timelines when it comes to inland vs outland?

Thank you
You must not only apply but remain in Canada to sponsor your spouse as a PR. A short vacation seems to be allowed.