+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Young Professional Visa for Germans

aferna12

Dec 1, 2014
Hello, I'm currently on the Work/Travel 1-yr visa in Canada, working at an Architecture firm in Calgary. This work visa will be valid until May 2015. I would like to apply for the Young Professional visa starting May 2015, ending May 2016. My current employer has given me a full-time offer starting May 2015, but has no ‘written’ end-date as it is a full-time offer. Can I use this full-time offer to apply for the Young Professional visa or does it require that an end-date be formally written on it? The offer shows annual salary and hours worked per week. It also contains my start date, role, job description and company information.

In addition, I will be applying for the Young Professional visa from within Canada. Do you know how long the processing time is upon me sending in my application to receiving the Young Professional work visa? I have German nationality.

T.O.

Jul 10, 2014
Hi,

yes you can apply for the Young Professional Work Permit.

Just note: the work permit you apply for is a work permit made outside of Canada, means you have to make it look like you're not in Canada.

Also, if you apply online, make sure always to use Germany as your residence, even as your current residence. Otherwise they will reject your application.

Processing time may vary. For me it took 2 - 2.5 months.

Cheers

anarsoul

Jul 12, 2014
T.O. said:
Hi,

Just note: the work permit you apply for is a work permit made outside of Canada, means you have to make it look like you're not in Canada.

Also, if you apply online, make sure always to use Germany as your residence, even as your current residence. Otherwise they will reject your application.

Cheers
It's illegal to provide wrong information about current country of residence, and it may lead to visa refusal, and further problems in future during PR application.

aferna12

Dec 1, 2014
T.O. said:
Hi,

Cheers

Thanks. Just needed to know regarding the end date specifically written on the contract. And actually, I've confirmed that you CAN apply for this while in Canada under the Working Holiday visa. You just have to let the company giving you the job offer know what date you would like the contract to begin so that it will be reflected on your Young Professional visa once it is issued. Ideally, you'd want it to begin the day your current, Working Holiday visa, expires. This can be found at germany.gc.ca under the FAQs for 'International Experience Canada', where in #10, it talks about continuing your work in Canada without it getting interrupted.

aferna12

Dec 1, 2014
Also, when you apply for the new visa/permit, you will have to create a separate IEC account. You are right in the fact that this does go through the Canadian embassy in Germany. You can still however, apply from within Canada. It may increase the processing time, but not by much.

T.O.

Jul 10, 2014
If nothing has changed, you can let IEC know that you are currently in Canada. But when it comes to CIC the application is called "Work Permit made outside of Canada". If you select current country of residence, you are likely to be rejected as you do not fulfill the criteria. Please consider, that IEC and CIC are different departments, working independently!

There is a thread "IEC 2014" or "CIC stage 2 refused" where exactly those issues had been raised.

But again, if they haven't changed anything, you can't apply for a work permit made outside of Canada and select current country of residence: Canada.

Goschga

Mar 24, 2014
aferna12 said:
Hello, I'm currently on the Work/Travel 1-yr visa in Canada, working at an Architecture firm in Calgary. This work visa will be valid until May 2015. I would like to apply for the Young Professional visa starting May 2015, ending May 2016. My current employer has given me a full-time offer starting May 2015, but has no ‘written' end-date as it is a full-time offer. Can I use this full-time offer to apply for the Young Professional visa or does it require that an end-date be formally written on it? The offer shows annual salary and hours worked per week. It also contains my start date, role, job description and company information.

In addition, I will be applying for the Young Professional visa from within Canada. Do you know how long the processing time is upon me sending in my application to receiving the Young Professional work visa? I have German nationality.
Hey aferna12,

I am from Germany as well and live in Calgary since last September, waiting to apply for the Young Professionals Visa 2015.
Right now I am here with a tourist visa which will expire on March 26th. I really hope they have their website up and running soon,
that I get the visa before that date. I am getting a little nervous now.

Since you are in Calgary too and have to deal with the same stuff, would you wanna meet up for a coffee??

CanDre1989

Jan 8, 2015
Hey Goschga and anyone else!
I'm from Germany aswell and just started to work on my Canada Immigration Dream. It honestly kind of scares me, it seems like a big piece of work. First, I hope you will be able to apply for the young professionals visa soon and that you won't have any problems with it!! I lived in Canada for almost 1.5 years and loved it. Unfortunately i had to leave because my working holiday visa expired.. I'm currently working in Australia to safe up enough money for my Canada -plans.

Do you (or anyone else in this chat ) know if I can apply for the young professionals visa even if I already had a Working Holiday Visa? And also, would it be possible to apply during I'm in Australia?
Thanks so much already for the help!! And good luck again Goschga!

Goschga

Mar 24, 2014
CanDre1989 said:
Hey Goschga and anyone else!
I'm from Germany aswell and just started to work on my Canada Immigration Dream. It honestly kind of scares me, it seems like a big piece of work. First, I hope you will be able to apply for the young professionals visa soon and that you won't have any problems with it!! I lived in Canada for almost 1.5 years and loved it. Unfortunately i had to leave because my working holiday visa expired.. I'm currently working in Australia to safe up enough money for my Canada -plans.

Do you (or anyone else in this chat ) know if I can apply for the young professionals visa even if I already had a Working Holiday Visa? And also, would it be possible to apply during I'm in Australia?
Thanks so much already for the help!! And good luck again Goschga!
Hey CanDre1989,

Im kinda trying the same thing haha. My boyfriend is Canadian so Im also planning on staying here permanently. I came to Canada 4 years ago with a Working Holiday Visa. So yes it is possible to apply for the Young Professionals Visa even if you already had the WHV. You can apply twice for the IEC Canada Visas. And you can also apply when you are in Australia. The whole application process is online now and they also made a few changes for 2015. I cant post a link here, but go on the Citizenship & Immigration Canada website and search for IEC.

Where do you want do stay in Canada when you come back?

CanDre1989

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks so much for responding so quick, thats awesome !! Oh wow, these are great news! Just to be sure, can I apply for the YP visa even if i don't have a job offer in Canada? That would be a dream:) 4 years in Canada? You must be a pro regarding all these visa-questions, thanks heaps for your help!:) The plan is to safe up money and go back around June with my boyfriend. Back to Banff actually, how random haha! I used to live in Nelson and Banff most of the time. Can I ask you how you provided yourself after your WHV was expired or what kind of visa you had? If you want, send me a private message if this is too private for a forum!

CanDre1989

Jan 8, 2015
Is it right that I have to create a new My CIC- Account and Kompass Account for the second IEC Application and not use any of my old WHV My CIC accounts?

dunj

Star Member
Jun 20, 2014
Is it possible to receive a Yp visa while on valid Wp with lmo? Please advise, thank you..

Jan 15, 2015
Hi there,
I am in Canada on a WHV at the moment - I already know that I would like to extend my stay and want to apply for a Young Professional visa - my question is if I have to have the contract of employment straight away for applying for a spot for the visa with IEC...? And as other people I am wondering too if I will need a new kompass and CIC account for application...also it looks like I will definitely be dependent on that one employer with the Young Professional visa and have no option to switch the employer at all?
Thanks a lot!!!
Regina

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Reginaregenbogen said:
Hi there,
I am in Canada on a WHV at the moment - I already know that I would like to extend my stay and want to apply for a Young Professional visa - my question is if I have to have the contract of employment straight away for applying for a spot for the visa with IEC...? And as other people I am wondering too if I will need a new kompass and CIC account for application...also it looks like I will definitely be dependent on that one employer with the Young Professional visa and have no option to switch the employer at all?
Thanks a lot!!!
Regina
1. Yes, you require a contract with a job in NOC O, A or B.
2. New Kompass Account
3. Yes, it will be a restricted work permit.

Determine your eligibility

Note: As a German citizen, you may participate in IEC twice. You must choose a different category each time.

Starting in 2015, the job you are offered in Canada must be classified as a National Occupation Code (NOC) Skill Type Level O, A, or B to be considered “professional experience”.

To be eligible for the Young Professionals category, you must:

be a German citizen,
have a valid German passport for the duration of your stay in Canada – your work permit in Canada will not be longer than the validity of your passport,
be between the ages of 18 and 35 (inclusive),
have the equivalent of C$2,500 to help cover your expenses,
be able to take out health insurance for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada,
be admissible to Canada,
have, prior to departure, a round-trip ticket or the financial resources to purchase a departure ticket for the end of your authorized stay in Canada,
have a signed letter of offer or contract of employment in Canada – the employment offer must be within your field of expertise (through schooling or work experience) and contribute to your professional development,
not be accompanied by dependents and
pay the fees.

Goschga

Mar 24, 2014
Hey :)
does anyone know if the documents you have to submit for the young professionals visa have to be translated??
On the cic website it says all documents have to be translated if they are not in English or French, but I also got an email from experience@cic.gc.ca
which says that docs don`t have to be translated unless they ask you to. I am a little confused now.