+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR parents, US citizen baby

Vk123N

Jul 29, 2024
Both me and my wife got Canada PR through express entry. We are planning to make our first entry in Canada in September. We have added our 9 month baby information in the express entry portal. However, we did apply PR for her as she was new born and we couldn’t make a decision at that time. However, she is a USA citizen. Can we bring the baby with us as she is US citizen.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Very important distinction: are you already PR or not? Or just approved and have not done your first landing?

If she has not been examined yet as part of your app and you have not become PRs yet, you CANNOT enter before she is approved. If you went to the border, they would not let you land (complete the procedure to become a PR).

There's no 'decision' to be made - your daughter must be added.

If you are already PRs and you got your status before the child was born, no issue - but it does not sound like this is the case to me.

Vk123N

Jul 29, 2024
We are just approved and have not done our first landing.
we added our daughter to the app. We uploaded her medicals, passport and proof of birth. However, there is an option to apply PR for dependents or not. There I choosed yes for my wife and No for my daughter.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
We are just approved and have not done our first landing.
we added our daughter to the app. We uploaded her medicals, passport and proof of birth. However, there is an option to apply PR for dependents or not. There I choosed yes for my wife and No for my daughter.
Do you mean you included your daughter as non-accompanying?

And if so, if I may ask - why did you not include your daughter at that point? Were you going to leave an infant behind?

Vk123N

Jul 29, 2024
Yes, I marked her as non-accompanying.
It was absolutely my fault, when I was applying my baby was at her 2 month so we thought we would go first, figure out accommodation, transport… etc and then bring the baby in a couple of months. I thought if I mark accompanying we should bring her with us initially.

what other alternatives do we have, can we update to accompanying and get her visa. Or are there any other alternatives.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Yes, I marked her as non-accompanying.
It was absolutely my fault, when I was applying my baby was at her 2 month so we thought we would go first, figure out accommodation, transport… etc and then bring the baby in a couple of months. I thought if I mark accompanying we should bring her with us initially.

what other alternatives do we have, can we update to accompanying and get her visa. Or are there any other alternatives.
Okay, that's all good then. You just need to update to request her be added to the app as accompanying:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/family-class-circumstance.html

You will have to contact IRCC. I believe the simplest approach is to submit a webform, and request the change. You will liekly have to update the part of the form (IMM0008 in paper form) to make the change and attach that.

I don't think they give more specific instructions about how to do this. You could try calling IRCC to check this but may be hard to get through.

There is no re-assessment of your app required, but it may take some time (I'm guessing but perhaps 1-4 months).

Since your daughter was marked as non-accompanying, you CAN come to Canada and land, and bring her with you (she will not need a visa as US passport holder), but then you'd have to sponsor her separately.

If she enters as a PR with you, she would get health care coverage quicker, with you. (Detail;s depend a bit on province)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
As previously noted in many provinces they would not qualify for provincial healthcare so take out emergency health insurance if it is determined that they don’t qualify. Other care may have to be paid out of pocket. If going to a province where you also have to wait up to a few months to qualify for healthcare good idea to purchase for you and your spouse as well.

Vk123N

Jul 29, 2024
Thanks for all the responses and advices about health insurance.
As suggested, I have raised a webform request. Will let you know once I receive an update from IRCC.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for all the responses and advices about health insurance.
As suggested, I have raised a webform request. Will let you know once I receive an update from IRCC.
Stick with a large insurer in Canada and buy before you come to Canada. Look at eligibility criteria for healthcare in the province you will be settling in first.