+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Citizenship -- Approx Timelines

paisrinivasnp

Apr 12, 2017
Hi Team

I just mailed my application on April 1st by Canada Post which was delivered on April 6th, (Canada Post Tracking)
Single Applicant who moved on PR with no long-term stay outside Canada post moving on PR. Pretty simple application I must say.
Could you please help me to understand what could be the approx timelines for citizenship.

Asking because I have a couple of job offers from US who need TN to be applied.
Thanks for the help.

Regards
Srinivas

Reactions: novascotia27

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Hi Team

I just mailed my application on April 1st by Canada Post which was delivered on April 6th, (Canada Post Tracking)
Single Applicant who moved on PR with no long-term stay outside Canada post moving on PR. Pretty simple application I must say.
Could you please help me to understand what could be the approx timelines for citizenship.

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Srinivas
Hate to discourage you, but you can probably ditch them offers. No one knows how much time Cship applications take these days. Could be anywhere from 6 months (pre-pandemic) to a couple of years (post-pandemic)

Reactions: adey786

BadGamer6

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2019
Toronto
Hi Team

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Srinivas
Based on the current timeline... You'll need to wait for 1.5 to 2 years.. They are still finalizing applications from end of March to early April 2019 (per IRCC website). Based on the tracker and people's report on this forum, 2020 applications basically have the minimum to no movements. You can try urgent processing if you really need it ASAP, jobs are considered a valid reason for urgent processing. However, jobs from the US may not be considered as "urgent" in their opinion, but it does not hurt to try. But even that is accepted, it would still take 4-6 months for the entire process to finalize.

adey786

Jun 29, 2010
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
05-01-16
Doc's Request.
13-01-16
Nomination.....
08-12-15
AOR Received.
05-01-16
File Transfer...
03-03-16
Med's Done....
13-01-16
Passport Req..
08-05-16
VISA ISSUED...
26-05-16
Hate to discourage you, but you can probably ditch them offers. No one knows how much time Cship applications take these days. Could be anywhere from 6 months (pre-pandemic) to a couple of years (post-pandemic)

Agreed @Lex2019

Just one additional comment : if you request Urgent Processing citing US job offers this will actually inflict a damage on your application - which possibly means more questioning, RQ and other crazy things. Best is to lay low and wait for things to happen.

Yes, ditch those offers unless US employer can sponsor you and offer a pathway to Green card.

Good luck.

Reactions: BadGamer6

matlal

Apr 28, 2010
Ontario,Canada
Visa Office......
New Dehli
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 1,2010
AOR Received.
2nd AOR - New Delhi - April 27,2010
File Transfer...
March 24,2010
Med's Request
27-04-2011
Med's Done....
06-05-2011
Passport Req..
27-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
Feb 26 2012
Hi Team

Thanks for the help.

Regards
Srinivas
Since u have already submitted, just request for urgent processing based on Job Offer in the US. Getting a job offer is not easy, and since the advise is reject them, what do you have to lose, by changing your application to urgent processing.

I don't think , CIC will say, " you are going to work in the US, so we'll delay your application". Then there would be no need for the NAFTA agreement.

Take your offer, buy some time from the US emplorer, as there are travel restrictions, and see if the processing can be sped up.

Canada benefits from TAXES if you work here or anywhere in the globe. Well that's my take.

limits

May 13, 2015
Agreed @Lex2019

Just one additional comment : if you request Urgent Processing citing US job offers this will actually inflict a damage on your application - which possibly means more questioning, RQ and other crazy things. Best is to lay low and wait for things to happen.

Yes, ditch those offers unless US employer can sponsor you and offer a pathway to Green card.

Good luck.
Do US job offers really quality you for urgent processing? I thought that was more related to job offers within Canada where you need citizenship i.e. working for the government of Canada.

Reactions: BadGamer6

matlal

Apr 28, 2010
Ontario,Canada
Visa Office......
New Dehli
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 1,2010
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
March 24,2010
Med's Request
27-04-2011
Med's Done....
06-05-2011
Passport Req..
27-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
Feb 26 2012
Yeah that's valid point. Job offers outside Canada might not qualify. But , give it a shot. Nothing to lose, they would just reject the urgent application, so what's the harm? Then the normal processing wi take few months, and much lesser than the time taken for paper applications in the past. Or the TN visa could be done parallely.

Lex2019

Jan 21, 2019
Yeah that's valid point. Job offers outside Canada might not qualify. But , give it a shot. Nothing to lose, they would just reject the urgent application, so what's the harm? Then the normal processing wi take few months, and much lesser than the time taken for paper applications in the past. Or the TN visa could be done parallely.
Parallel to what? TN is granted at the border crossing point based on i) a job offer that meets the requirements of a TN visa and ii) a Canadian passport. W/out the passport no one is going to let you into the US on TN visa as it won't be granted

limits

May 13, 2015
There is something to lose. Even a change of address can cause a delay in your application so this definitely can as well.

matlal

Apr 28, 2010
Ontario,Canada
Visa Office......
New Dehli
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Feb 1,2010
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
March 24,2010
Med's Request
27-04-2011
Med's Done....
06-05-2011
Passport Req..
27-04-2011
VISA ISSUED...
15-12-2011
LANDED..........
Feb 26 2012
All great points @Lex2019 @limits @canuck78

Summary
  1. Canadian PASSPORT needed for TN Visa
  2. Job offers outside Canada, don't qualify for urgent processing.
  3. PR Holders cannot work in US without a H1 or L1 (guess, that is correct)
  4. Any changes to the citizenship application, even an address change leads to significant delays.

Only Option : Get the offer , work from Canada remotely, until you get the citizenship or ditch the offer, if that is not an option.

That being said, there aren't many options if you are not a Canadian citizen or if you don't qualify for urgent processing.

Last edited:
Reactions: limits