+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Citizenship Application

deepika saini

Apr 29, 2018
Hi Everyone,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and have applied for Canadian citizenship, having completed my three-year residency requirement. Since I currently don't have a job, I am considering moving back to India.

Do I need to reside in Canada while my citizenship application is being processed? I have a Canadian address where I can receive any mail from the government. Please advise.

Thank you.

EscoBlades

Champion Member
Jul 22, 2020
Toronto
Category........
CEC
You can apply from outside Canada but:
  • You’ll have to inform IRCC that you are outside Canada when it comes time to take the Citizenship test.
  • You’ll have to explain WHY you are outside Canada if you get called in for an interview.
  • You’ll need a rock solid reason for being outside Canada should you be invited to take the Oath and attend the Citizenship Ceremony (you need to be in Canada for this).
All that to say, moving back to India (while understandable given your current situation) might add some complexity to your application.

Good luck.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi Everyone,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada and have applied for Canadian citizenship, having completed my three-year residency requirement. Since I currently don't have a job, I am considering moving back to India.

Do I need to reside in Canada while my citizenship application is being processed? I have a Canadian address where I can receive any mail from the government. Please advise.

Thank you.
You can refer this as well along with what the other member mentioned https://ircc.canada.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=911&top=5

deepika saini

Apr 29, 2018
I have few more question regarding Canada Citizenship application process.

1. I have got the confirmation for submission of my application not "AOR". Can I leave Canada now since I have submitted my application. However, I would be in Canada for Oath ceremony if my application gets approved.

2. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

It shows I need to inform IRCC if I leave the country for more than 2 weeks in a row after I receive an AOR. I would be having a Canadian address while I am gone. Will there be any negative impact on my application if leave and update IRCC.

3. I believe, I would be getting citizenship test requirement once I receive an AOR. Can I take the test from outside of Canada or do I need to be in country? Does test happen online or in-person?

4. I have submitted my belts test which I had taken it for my PR application. Do I need to take a test again for citizenship application?

In short, I need clarity if leaving Canada will affect my application at all or it is not recommended to leave the country.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019

1. I have got the confirmation for submission of my application not "AOR". Can I leave Canada now since I have submitted my application. However, I would be in Canada for Oath ceremony if my application gets approved.

2. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/after-apply-next-steps.html

It shows I need to inform IRCC if I leave the country for more than 2 weeks in a row after I receive an AOR. I would be having a Canadian address while I am gone. Will there be any negative impact on my application if leave and update IRCC.

3. I believe, I would be getting citizenship test requirement once I receive an AOR. Can I take the test from outside of Canada or do I need to be in country? Does test happen online or in-person?

4. I have submitted my belts test which I had taken it for my PR application. Do I need to take a test again for citizenship application?

In short, I need clarity if leaving Canada will affect my application at all or it is not recommended to leave the country.

2. Impact is prolonged stay outside Canada triggers interview and also in many cases Oath is scheduled only after they receive the boarding pass of your return flight to Canada.
3. Yes you can take test from Outside Canada. Its online.
4. Not needed.

canship1

Jun 13, 2024

I sugget better stay in Canada until you finish oath or atleast test completions.
Even though if you have Canadian address , if you are in India , for sure that will raise immigration eyebrows . They might call for interview and might take longer process .

They will have all the records of immigration like when did you exit or entered the country, it is not only with just Canada they have information of all thr five eyes countries. For example even if you go to NZ they will know that right away in their online intelligence which is shared by five eyes nations .
Legally you can leave even after you apply but as they said , you need to inform ircc . Then they will ask more questions later and you need to be able to convince them why you left .