+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you wait inside Canada for an application made from outside Canada?

EUtoCA

Sep 1, 2021
Hi all,

This is my situation:

• My partner and I applied for a work permit, my partner's application got approved and she moved this week into our new apartment (she has to start working next week). My application is still pending.
  • At September 7th, travel restrictions will be partially lifted for travelers from Europe.
My question is, can I come to Canada on a tourist visa (ETA) and wait in our new apartment for my work permit? Is this allowed? And if this is allowed, will I be able to receive my work permit in an IRCC office (since you are issued with your work permit upon arrival at the port of entry), or do I have to leave the country and re-enter?

If anyone can help me in getting an answer to this that would be highly appreciated!

Apr 4, 2020
My question is, can I come to Canada on a tourist visa (ETA) and wait in our new apartment for my work permit? Is this allowed?
Yes, as long as you meet the COVID-19 entry requirements (which I assume you will, starting September 7) AND you are otherwise eligible to enter Canada (in this case, as a visitor via an ETA). If you are entering as a tourist, you will have to satisfy the border officer that your stay is temporary. This typically sets a duration of stay of 6 months from your date of entry (see this page).
And if this is allowed, will I be able to receive my work permit in an IRCC office (since you are issued with your work permit upon arrival at the port of entry), or do I have to leave the country and re-enter?
Work permits are issued by the regional IRCC office that processes your application. If or when your work permit application gets approved, it will be mailed to the address that you provided on your application form. You could have a trusted friend or family member mail to you when you do receive it at your address and then re-enter Canada (you can do this at the US border instead of flying in and out) to 'update' your status from a visitor to a worker and ensure that your status doesn't expire.

EUtoCA

Sep 1, 2021
Thank you for your clear and concise reply! I still have some questions though, maybe you have an answer.
Work permits are issued by the regional IRCC office that processes your application. If or when your work permit application gets approved, it will be mailed to the address that you provided on your application form. You could have a trusted friend or family member mail to you when you do receive it at your address and then re-enter Canada (you can do this at the US border instead of flying in and out) to 'update' your status from a visitor to a worker and ensure that your status doesn't expire.
I applied online from Europe. My partner did the same and she got her approval in the online portal, together with a Port of Entry Letter of Introduction that she had to show at the border. She then received her work permit at the airport.

If my application gets approved, I recon that I will receive the same in my online portal.

If I am already in Canada, I don't know if this can be done (obtaining the work permit at the airport or at a local office), maybe you know the answer?

Additionally, I don't think leaving Canada to the US and go back will work since Europeans cannot enter the US on a tourist visa at the moment. So in that case I would have to fly back and forth to Europe.

Thank you for your answer!

Apr 4, 2020
I applied online from Europe. My partner did the same and she got her approval in the online portal, together with a Port of Entry Letter of Introduction that she had to show at the border. She then received her work permit at the airport.

If I am already in Canada, I don't know if this can be done (obtaining the work permit at the airport or at a local office), maybe you know the answer?
I see—it may be that the work permit process works differently from non-EEA countries.

I don't have experience with PoE Letters of Introduction but based on what you are saying (and this page), it looks like you can show up at any PoE with your Letter of Introduction and have your work permit issued to you there and then. The fact that you are already in Canada as a visitor (temporary resident) is rendered completely irrelevant the moment that you leave the country (from a legal standpoint, it is as if you just visited the country as a tourist and left). Once you do have your work permit issued to you at the PoE, you would be entering Canada as a worker. (In effect, changing your temporary resident status from visitor to worker.)

I am not sure whether you can obtain the work permit at a local office with your PoE Letter of Introduction without leaving Canada.
Additionally, I don't think leaving Canada to the US and go back will work since Europeans cannot enter the US on a tourist visa at the moment. So in that case I would have to fly back and forth to Europe.
That's an unfortunate situation. In that case, yes, you would have fly in and out of the country—and not necessarily to Europe. You could travel to and from any other country that you are admissible to!
Thank you for your answer!
No worries :)