+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you submit PR application before taking IELTS test?

armidasawan

Jul 13, 2013
Hello,

My family is currently working on submitting our PR application under the FSW PhD stream. My husband is the primary applicant and he is currently done with coursework and is a PhD candidate at a Canadian institution, and teaches at another. I have two questions:

Can we submit our PR application before testing? and

Do we both need to take the test or only him as the primary applicant?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
No you can't submit early.. From the CIC web site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG7TOC.asp

Minimum Language Requirement

You must identify in your application which language – English or French – will be your first official language in Canada.

You must meet minimum language levels and include results of a language test from an agency designated by CIC in that language when you apply.

Note. If you do not submit the results of your official language proficiency test indicating that you meet the required proficiency level with your application to the CIO, your application will not be processed and will be returned to you as incomplete.
Also, it states
Important information. If you are claiming adaptability points for your spouse or common-law partner's language proficiency, you must include the results of their official English language proficiency test (CELPIP – General or IELTS – General Training) OR their official French language proficiency test (TEF) with your application to the CIO.
I assume this to mean that you both have to pass IELTS *only if* the PA is claiming the extra points it offers.

thukku

Jul 25, 2013
armidasawan said:
Hello,

My family is currently working on submitting our PR application under the FSW PhD stream. My husband is the primary applicant and he is currently done with coursework and is a PhD candidate at a Canadian institution, and teaches at another. I have two questions:

Can we submit our PR application before testing? and

Do we both need to take the test or only him as the primary applicant?
No, you need score card to submit the application. Else, it will be returned to you.

maina

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2013
New Jersey
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-May-2013 PER : 9-Aug-2013
AOR Received.
11-Oct-2013
No.. Not eligible this way

Msimms

Star Member
May 12, 2013
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If english is your first lanuguage do you still have to do the english test? IELTS?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Msimms said:
If english is your first lanuguage do you still have to do the english test? IELTS?
Yes.