+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you submit an alternative proof of language on test day? (Original missing)

VanCityBrit

Mar 17, 2015
I received notification to attend my citizenship test in Vancouver on June 25th (hooray!), and am currently gathering all my original documents as per the instructions. Everything is in order, except that I can't find my original degree certificate from an English speaking university as language proof. I have a scanned PDF copy of it, which is what I sent with my application, but I believe the original is in a box somewhere in my parents' house in my country of origin. They are frantically searching for it as I type, but no luck so far.

However I do have an original certificate for a program I completed with an English speaking Canadian university. This program was completed prior to my citizenship application, but I stupidly didn't send a copy of it with my application as I thought my bachelor's degree would be sufficient and deemed a 'higher level' qualification (the program I completed at the Canadian institution is an employment related designation specific to my industry. Still post-secondary, just not a degree or diploma).

Does anyone know whether this certificate would be accepted as proof of language on the day, even though it isn't the original qualification I submitted?

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
Re: Can you submit an alternative proof of language on test day?

VanCityBrit said:
I received notification to attend my citizenship test in Vancouver on June 25th (hooray!), and am currently gathering all my original documents as per the instructions. Everything is in order, except that I can't find my original degree certificate from an English speaking university as language proof. I have a scanned PDF copy of it, which is what I sent with my application, but I believe the original is in a box somewhere in my parents' house in my country of origin. They are frantically searching for it as I type, but no luck so far.

However I do have an original certificate for a program I completed with an English speaking Canadian university. This program was completed prior to my citizenship application, but I stupidly didn't send a copy of it with my application as I thought my bachelor's degree would be sufficient and deemed a 'higher level' qualification (the program I completed at the Canadian institution is an employment related designation specific to my industry. Still post-secondary, just not a degree or diploma).

Does anyone know whether this certificate would be accepted as proof of language on the day, even though it isn't the original qualification I submitted?
Congratulations for the test invite.

Usually the officers during the test check the originals of: COPR, PR card, passports, 2 pieces of ID only however officer might be interested in looking for all other originals of the copies those were submitted with the application.
Ask your parents to find the original degree and mail it by high speed courier quickly so that you have it handy during the test/interview

If the officer asks you about the original of the degree and you don't have it then you can explain the officer the situation and then you may show your other course certificate to the officer. After that it is up to the officer discretion to accept it or not.

Good luck!

VanCityBrit

Mar 17, 2015
Thanks for the response.

As you said, I wasn't asked for my degree certificate. I passed the test and everything else was in order, so he said he was going to recommend me for citizenship and I should get a notice to take the oath in 3-5 months time :D

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
VanCityBrit said:
Thanks for the response.

As you said, I wasn't asked for my degree certificate. I passed the test and everything else was in order, so he said he was going to recommend me for citizenship and I should get a notice to take the oath in 3-5 months time :D
Great! Congratulations!!