+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you have two active LMIA's at once? Will this cause a problem with a PR/OINP application?

randomqzthray

Jan 25, 2023
Looking to know if it is possible to have two active LMIA's for two separate employers at once, and if having such would cause any issues when it comes to applying for Permanent Residency, or responding to a NOI for a OINP nomination.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Looking to know if it is possible to have two active LMIA's for two separate employers at once, and if having such would cause any issues when it comes to applying for Permanent Residency, or responding to a NOI for a OINP nomination.
A person doesn't have an active LMIA, an employer is approved for a LMIA - you simply use that approved LMIA to get a work permit. LMIA supported job offers are also usually closed work permits, so unlikely this can happen (unless I am mistaken).

Reactions: rcincanada2019

randomqzthray

Jan 25, 2023
A person doesn't have an active LMIA, an employer is approved for a LMIA - you simply use that approved LMIA to get a work permit. LMIA supported job offers are also usually closed work permits, so unlikely this can happen (unless I am mistaken).
I see. Is it possible/allowed to have two active closed work permits for two different employers then? And again would this cause issues with OINP or EE PR applications?

rcincanada2019

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
My understanding is the same.

I see. Is it possible/allowed to have two active closed work permits for two different employers then? And again would this cause issues with OINP or EE PR applications?
AFAIK, you cannot have two active temporary resident permit (study and/or work) at the same time, unless you have a study permit and a work permit for coop/internship as part of your study program. As commented by @iSaidGoodDay, unlikely for IRCC to give you two active close work permit (after all, it is "close" to a particular employer).

randomqzthray

Jan 25, 2023
My understanding is the same.

AFAIK, you cannot have two active temporary resident permit (study and/or work) at the same time, unless you have a study permit and a work permit for coop/internship as part of your study program. As commented by @iSaidGoodDay, unlikely for IRCC to give you two active close work permit (after all, it is "close" to a particular employer).
I know someone who was granted two closed work permits for separate employers - both the immigration lawyer as well as the CBSA officer who granted them their second work permit said they searched thoroughly and couldn't find a rule stating they weren't allowed to have two, just that they might have to give one of them up when they expire (as opposed to renewing both) and go forward with just one job. Just wanted to hear if anyone on this forum heard differently.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
I know someone who was granted two closed work permits for separate employers - both the immigration lawyer as well as the CBSA officer who granted them their second work permit said they searched thoroughly and couldn't find a rule stating they weren't allowed to have two, just that they might have to give one of them up when they expire (as opposed to renewing both) and go forward with just one job. Just wanted to hear if anyone on this forum heard differently.
It could be something like this. Let's say employer A interviews you and offers you a job supported by LMIA, you get a work permit for employer A. But, now you got another job offer(from employer B) and want to quit employer A, you can get another work permit supported by employer B's LMIA.

rcincanada2019

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
With all due respect, we all have that moment when we know someone who _____ (just fill in the blanks). But the question is, how common are those instances? Is that the rule or just some fluke exception? Now, how can anybody work with two closed work permit without violating the conditions on both closed work permit restricting the employee to each particular employer?

I am just applying common sense in my logic formulation about the situation. And this is just my opinion.

randomqzthray

Jan 25, 2023
With all due respect, we all have that moment when we know someone who _____ (just fill in the blanks). But the question is, how common are those instances? Is that the rule or just some fluke exception? Now, how can anybody work with two closed work permit without violating the conditions on both closed work permit restricting the employee to each particular employer?

I am just applying common sense in my logic formulation about the situation. And this is just my opinion.
Thanks for your input. I always figured being permitted to work at a second location/employer would just be active simultaneously with your first one, rather than one having to override the other.

rcincanada2019

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
Thanks for your input. I always figured being permitted to work at a second location/employer would just be active simultaneously with your first one, rather than one having to override the other.
Just playing the devil's advocate here. The two active documents would actually cancel each other out. Consider this: wp A allows you to work for employer A. However, wp B prohibits you from working for employer A. That means you are both allowed and prohibited to work. Sort of being in an endless loop.

randomqzthray

Jan 25, 2023
Just playing the devil's advocate here. The two active documents would actually cancel each other out. Consider this: wp A allows you to work for employer A. However, wp B prohibits you from working for employer A. That means you are both allowed and prohibited to work. Sort of being in an endless loop.
If this is correct, then shouldn't IRCC/CIC have flagged this, and a CBSA officer wouldn't have issued the second work permit to begin this though? The person I know was also picked for the Human Capital Stream too so surely they'd have looked over their EE profile to give them an NOI and would've noticed this discrepancy.

rcincanada2019

Champion Member
Jan 14, 2023
Ontario
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
App. Filed.......
03-07-2022
Nomination.....
30-03-2022
AOR Received.
03-11-2022
If this is correct, then shouldn't IRCC/CIC have flagged this, and a CBSA officer wouldn't have issued the second work permit to begin this though? The person I know was also picked for the Human Capital Stream too so surely they'd have looked over their EE profile to give them an NOI and would've noticed this discrepancy.
Again, I am just formulating my logic using common sense.